Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #2481
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Sweet. Yeah, I bet 1056 does the trick in no time flat. I like to cold crash for a couple days and transfer so that I have to be less delicate when I'm moving kegs around. I don't do it every time for my fridge beers, but I try to do it at minimum whenever I am taking beer to an event with my homebrew club. I hate pouring yeasty sludge to booth visitors! Just make sure to use a low psi during transferring (I shoot for ~5psi) and go slow. Don't be afraid to let the pressure start building as you pass the halfway mark, and then burping the keg slowly in intervals to let it keep filling. The first time I transferred keg-to-keg, I left the pressure relief twisted in the open position, and by the time I got to the last 10% of the beer, I started shooting foam everywhere because I didn't keep the pressure change gradual enough. Ya get the hang of it after the second or third keg. Usually takes me about 10 minutes, but I can do misc. cleaning and pick-up while it runs, I just stop by the keg every 90 sec. or so to vent some of the pressure.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #2482
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Lately I've been cold-crashing in primary and then racking to keg, putting gas on 20-30PSI (depends on if I want it ready in 2-3 days or 3-5 days), set to serving and bleed down, then pouring off the first 4-8oz. when it's carbed. Get's rid of a lot of yeast and such. I'm not going for clear beer most of the time, but if I were, I could keep this schedule and just add gelatin after racking to keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #2483
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I can't fit my buckets into the fridge or else I'd totally crash the primary instead of the keg. Maybe once I get my fermentation chamber built up.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #2484
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Lately I've been cold-crashing in primary and then racking to keg, putting gas on 20-30PSI (depends on if I want it ready in 2-3 days or 3-5 days), set to serving and bleed down, then pouring off the first 4-8oz. when it's carbed. Get's rid of a lot of yeast and such. I'm not going for clear beer most of the time, but if I were, I could keep this schedule and just add gelatin after racking to keg.
This is what I do with beers you can drink as soon as they're done fermenting and I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, I set to serving pressure and just wait until they're ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I can't fit my buckets into the fridge or else I'd totally crash the primary instead of the keg. Maybe once I get my fermentation chamber built up.
I have a side by side fridge/freezer that I can set different temps on the two sides to include heat on the fridge side. When fermentation is over, I just drop the temp on the primary and let it sit.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #2485
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Finally have started gathering the grain and hops for my first go at it but my LHBS only had Dingmens pale ale 2-row on hand and not the US variety. Will this change the characteristics too much?

thanks. cant wait for my new pot to come on Monday to try this

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #2486
brett1341
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottles this last night while I was mashing a honey nut brown ale. For the blonde, I split it into two 2.5 batches and dry hopped one of them with .5 oz Cascade pellets. It will be interesting to see the difference between the two.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #2487
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

brewed 11 gallons today!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #2488
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My ingredients showed up today. Brewing on the 23rd.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #2489
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just bottled 3 different version of this (15 gal batch split 3 ways). Sat in primary for 3 weeks at 66/67 and looks/smells/tastes great at this point! Didn't have centennial hops on hand so mixed chinook and cascade for the centennial portion of the hop schedule. Not the same obviously, but hopefully close. Of the 3 versions bottled, one was watered down to an OG of 1.042 (my efficiency was crazy good on this 15 gal brew day) and used US-05. 2nd batch was slightly less watered down to 1.045 with American II and the 3rd batch was left undiluted at 1.054 and American II. All yeasties went bonkers and the US05 went down to 1.006 and the AMII finished at 1.008. Much stronger than planned but smelled and tasted great when sampling during bottling.
As an experiment, I stole roughly 1 gal from each batch and combined them along with 1oz cascade. I will be bottling that 3 gal experiment next Sat. (10 day dry hop). So far I'm impressed with the results although I came in a little hotter than planned....although I always liked a beefier "session beer" anyway.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #2490
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just racked to secondary after 3 weeks in primary (I was out of town) and it smells quite nice, must be why there's an emphasis on using Centennial. I didn't taste it though because I'm sick as a dog so it's Glenfiddich tonight.

Drinking: Belgian Wit, Belgian IPA, Copperhead Irish Red, Satan's Hammer Winter Ale,
Chocolate Oatmeal Porter, Caramel Amber Ale, Premium Bitter, Earl Grey IPA, Sauvin Saison

Quick Reply