Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #2471
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_boy

Was my post, #2404
Thanks. Anything else you liked or disliked about the MO version? Have you brewed the recipe as is? If so, thoughts on the comparison?

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #2472
llama_boy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Thanks. Anything else you liked or disliked about the MO version? Have you brewed the recipe as is? If so, thoughts on the comparison?
Nothing I would change if I brewed it again. Also this is the only way I have brewed it so I don't have a comparison but can say the the MO gave it a good backbone that was well received by the judges. If anything I would maybe increase the hops a little, maybe 10%, but you see that much variation just in freshness levels.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #2473
he-brews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this a week ago from yesterday. My first all grain and I think I will never go back to extract. Kegged it last night, force carbonated and I can say that it is truly amazing!! All my friends that came by tonight tried it and didn't believe I made it. I got about 1014 after fermenting which put mine about 4.2% if I calculated it correctly. I also used 7 gallons of spring water from Walmart that I think helped a lot!! Thanks for the recipe! Will be making this the beginning of next week again for Christmas Eve!!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #2474
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by he-brews
I brewed this a week ago from yesterday. My first all grain and I think I will never go back to extract. Kegged it last night, force carbonated and I can say that it is truly amazing!! All my friends that came by tonight tried it and didn't believe I made it. I got about 1014 after fermenting which put mine about 4.2% if I calculated it correctly. I also used 7 gallons of spring water from Walmart that I think helped a lot!! Thanks for the recipe! Will be making this the beginning of next week again for Christmas Eve!!
This was my first all grain and I felt the same way. My wife and brother in law schemed against me to trick me into brewing a 10 gallon batch of this to serve at my surprise 30th birthday party I didn't know I was having. It was very well received.

I have started to dabble with MO and thought the notes above were intriguing and worth a shot.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #2475
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My variation of this turned out just a tad on the hoppy side. Fine for me, but probably just a touch too hoppy for the wife. Funny, I was shooting for the 21.6 IBU's but I bittered with CTZ, which has been giving a more harsh bittering for me lately...something often unnoticed in PA's and IPA's. Next time I'll use Nugget for bittering and reduce the IBU's just a scosche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
Chriso Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #2476
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Going to ge the grains for this today

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless
JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #2477
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
I'm drinking this now while watching my Tripel X blow the bung. It's not a bad beer but I don't really care for it. Tastes like Corona to me.
Ditto. I drank from the hydrometer a few times and it kind of tastes like any old bmc, corona, etc. Not bad just not my cup of tea. It did have a strong maltiness like fat tire though so my family will drink it up on christmas.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #2478
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbrewer View Post
Ditto. I drank from the hydrometer a few times and it kind of tastes like any old bmc, corona, etc. Not bad just not my cup of tea. It did have a strong maltiness like fat tire though so my family will drink it up on christmas.
Funny you mention the Corona taste...I threw a lime wedge in this the last time I had it kegged and enjoyed it. Figured it would be great at the bar by the pool.

I think this is a step up in flavor and hops over the BMC/Corona brews, but still close enough that it's a crowd pleaser and you can enjoy several without passing out in a pool of your own vomit.

My ingredients for 10 gallons is on its way with MO as the base this time to see how I like that. I'm going to see if it's possible to go from grain on 12/23 to glasses on 12/31 with this.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #2479
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Heck yeah, I bet you can have it done in time. What yeast are you using?

If dry, I'd pitch two packs per vessel, if liquid, make a properly sized starter. If I were doing it (and assuming that I use my usual practices & equipment), I'd hold steady at ~66*F so it ferments cool but doesn't stall out, for 5 days primary fermentation, on the 28th, cold crash and carb for 3 days in a 'secondary' corny keg on about 17-20psi gas at fridge temps of ~40*F, then transfer with a jumper hose into a clean sanitized serving keg on 12/31. Barely in time.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #2480
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Heck yeah, I bet you can have it done in time. What yeast are you using?

If dry, I'd pitch two packs per vessel, if liquid, make a properly sized starter. If I were doing it (and assuming that I use my usual practices & equipment), I'd hold steady at ~66*F so it ferments cool but doesn't stall out, for 5 days primary fermentation, on the 28th, cold crash and carb for 3 days in a 'secondary' corny keg on about 17-20psi gas at fridge temps of ~40*F, then transfer with a jumper hose into a clean sanitized serving keg on 12/31. Barely in time.
I'm planning on using 1056 and making a big starter to ensure fermentation kicks off within hours rather than days and I was going to ferment at 68* for 5 days or so, rack to a keg, then drop the temp to 38 or while force carbing. I don't mind if the first pull has some crud it in. I want to make sure it's finished fermenting and carbed, but who doesn't want those to happen in an expeditious manner?

I've never transfered carbed beer, but I do have some extra liquid ball lock connectors that I could make the jumper.

Quick Reply