Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #2461
NoTrubble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdozer View Post
We aren't building airplanes, relax dont worry. Even a little off on the numbers and it'll still be tasty.
Actually Japan tried correcting American mistakes on the F-16 and F-14. They built a perfectly balanced and torqued airframe and power plant. The result? They didn't fly. So it's ok to be a little off on those numbers too. :0)
Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #2462
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this yesterday. Everything went great. Hit the OG right on 1.040, but for some reason every time I brew this one I end up with very low volume in the carboy.

Went with Danstar BRY-97 this time. Pitched at noon yesterday and not one bubble yet. Kinda wondering....

Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #2463
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@Guidry Mine was kinda slow starting too. It took about a full day and a half to finally start kickin the airlock.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #2464
Guidry
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
@Guidry Mine was kinda slow starting too. It took about a full day and a half to finally start kickin the airlock.

Did you use the BRY-97 also? This is my first time with this yeast. I have always gone with -05 in the past. I have no experience with this yeast at all. Usually with the -05, the bugs are doing their thing in about 12 hours, or there is at least a layer of foam forming in spots on the surface. There is NOTHING in there. I know! Just relax!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2465
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't tried that one but I like Danstar because it's solid. My experience has been about 12-15 hours minimum providing temperatures were just right for them if not hydrated before hand. I had some iffy yeast in a carboy once that wouldn't start because it got too cold on the floor 68F was just too low to get it started. I put a heating pad under it and covered it with a blanket to jump start the process. That took almost two days to get started. It finally started cranking between 74-76 degrees and maintained that temp without the heating pad.

If the yeast is suspect I would take it up with whoever sold it to you. They might not have stored it properly and it was f'ed before you got it.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #2466
Guidry
Recipes 

I called my wife at 3pm yesterday and asked her to check my beer. "Tell me if the airlock is bubbling or if there are any bubbles at least on the top of the wort"....She told me there was a thin layer of small fine bubbles on the wort. Got home at 7:45 and the head space in the 6.5g carboy was almost completely full of krausen. Nice!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #2467
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm drinking this now while watching my Tripel X blow the bung. It's not a bad beer but I don't really care for it. Tastes like Corona to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2468
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've brewed this twice now from AG and I love it. The first batch went so fast it was ridiculous. I use s05 with a starter, and follow the recipe exactly except for adding gypsum. This last batch I dry hopped with 1oz cascade and it really kicked this beer up a notch. I love centennial and cascade so much that i am brewing a centennial blonde "big brother" as an APA.

It's a big hit among my friends they guzzle it, and I like one after getting home from work. Thanks biermuncher.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #2469
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts

I tried using google to search the entire thread for any reference to Maris Otter. I thought I saw a reference to someone brewing this beer subbing it for the 2-row. Anyone try that? How was it?

I think the reference I saw was even someone who submitted this for a competition.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #2470
llama_boy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I tried using google to search the entire thread for any reference to Maris Otter. I thought I saw a reference to someone brewing this beer subbing it for the 2-row. Anyone try that? How was it?

I think the reference I saw was even someone who submitted this for a competition.
Was my post, #2404

Quick Reply