Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #2441
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Glad I could help. And there is a lot of flexibility in the later hop additions, too, so you can easily bump up, say, the 5 minute addition by multiple ounces without drastically altering the IBU. You will get a clear increase in hop flavor and aroma, but it's much more difficult to measure through data points - it's more of a subjective increase.

But I frequently do exactly as you say - Base my recipe and even change components on the fly, based off of what I have in my inventory. "Using that bag of Cascade means I will have to put 0.5 oz away back into the freezer? Not any more. 0.5 oz at flameout. Done! Used it up." :P

Of course remember that the science of brewing is only half of the equation, it's possible to make a beer balanced on that graph that tastes like garbage IRL. It's just an aid - but it's one I like using to kind of re-think my recipe from as many angles as I can before I start the brew day. If I know the recipe "looks" good and "sounds" good, and if I know that the vital specs all "look" good on paper and graph, I'm at least feeling better that the beer should start off on a solid footing.

Brew on, brethren!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #2442
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewed 10 gallons of this just kegged one and its really good. I ended up splitting the batches and pitching notty in one and us05 in the other...I just kegged the us05 and its amazing. I ended up with 1.046 OG and 1.012 FG for 4.5% and the hops still come through just fine. One of my buddies even asked if I did a dry hop (Which I didnt) but I added gypsum to the mash so that might be why my hops are shinning through. I reused this yeast cake for a 20 gallon Kern River Citra DIPA that we brewed yesterday, I figured it would be a perfect yeast to re-use.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #2443
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Made 10 gallons of this and it's ready to be kegged / secondary'd. I'm gonna to keep one keg as is and wanted to put some fruit in the other. Has anyone ever added pomegranate juice that you can just buy on the store shelves?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2444
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Worth a try. You could split off one gallon and try, then flavor the rest.

My Electric Brewery Picasa Web Albums
Ratebeer profile: Ratebeer.com

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #2445
he-brews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Went out this past weekend and bought all the stuff to make this beer, this is my first all grain. Just did a partial about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Mashed about 20 minutes ago and oh my God it already smells great! I cant believe how many posts are on this thread alone!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #2446
he-brews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ok this is my first all grain and I'm still learning a lot. Once I pulled my wort outta the mashtun yesterday I checked the OG and it was reading 1030 so I panicked a little really wondering if the boil would change it that much so I added a pound of rice solids I had laying around. When all was said and done I carboyed it at 1050? U think it will still taste Blondel?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #2447
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by he-brews View Post
Ok this is my first all grain and I'm still learning a lot. Once I pulled my wort outta the mashtun yesterday I checked the OG and it was reading 1030 so I panicked a little really wondering if the boil would change it that much so I added a pound of rice solids I had laying around. When all was said and done I carboyed it at 1050? U think it will still taste Blondel?

Sounds like you need to have more faith in yourself. Only way to find out is to try it. It'll probably be a bit strong for a blonde, but it will make beer! The rice may be a bit out of style for this, but whatevs. Try again soon!

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2448
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by he-brews View Post
Sometimes too much info can be a bad thing. I have been brewing 6 months now, and by no means an expert. I admit I don't always take a reading until after the Wort has boiled and cooled. Anytime I try to "adjust" for my mistakes I regret it. Until you get more comfortable, my advice is to let it ride, try it, and take notes at every step. Surprised no one has told you, that when in doubt, to relax, wait a while and have a home brew!

As for your "rice blonde", don't sweat it too much. It'll still be beer! Maybe just not the one you intended. One of my favorite beers was born from a bad brew day, one of my least favorite was a hefeweizen that I tried to "fix"....

Hope it helps, keep reading and take notes on brew day and tasting day!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #2449
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

You SHOULD wait until the wort is cooled to take a reading. If you took your reading when it was still hot, you're going to have a much lower reading than what is actually there. Wait until it cools, throw it in the fridge until it reaches calibration temp (mine's 59*) and then take a reading.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2450
he-brews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys I hope it turns out ok its fermenting like a son of a b^*itch!!

Quick Reply