Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #2391
shadows69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What mux said 2 for 10. Don't want to under pitch it. So5 is a very good yeast. I use wlp008.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #2392
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried this with some Galaxy hops? I'm thinking a Columbus/Galaxy combo here.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #2393
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2052 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius270
Has anyone tried this with some Galaxy hops? I'm thinking a Columbus/Galaxy combo here.
In my experience with Columbus, it takes a while to settle down. The nice thing about the recipe the way it is written is that it's ready quickly. It is your beer though, do as you please.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #2394
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may just start by replacing the cascade with galaxy.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #2395
jasert39
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know this has been said dozens of times in this thread, but this is an awesome beer. I did a 10 gallon batch a while ago and went through the first 5 gallons (brewed exactly as the recipe is listed) pretty quick, I decided to dry hop the other half with a little bit more Cascase and Citra and finally got around to tapping that keg last night...awesome! Easy drinking and enough complexity to keep you interested. Either way you slice it, thanks again for the recipe, it's offically in my rotation.

Fermenting - Chocolate Porter
Serving - Tits-Up IIPA, Coffee Stout, Oak Aged IIPA
On Deck - Centennial Blonde, Rye IPA, Coffee Stout

my bar build - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-build-317745/

BigPicture Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #2396
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Very Nice.

I've just realized the fact that this is a great base for all kinds of mods. Raspberries, Orange, Different Yeast, Dry Hops, Different Hops. Even the time frame can be adjusted.

All brewing should be this much fun & rewarding. Nothing's worse than having a flop after all that time & work.

Too many batchs for me, I'm going to try that dry hop addition next. Complexity............... that's a new adjective for beer. I'm hooked!

Thanks BM & Jas!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #2397
jasert39
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPicture
Very Nice.

I've just realized the fact that this is a great base for all kinds of mods. Raspberries, Orange, Different Yeast, Dry Hops, Different Hops. Even the time frame can be adjusted.

All brewing should be this much fun & rewarding. Nothing's worse than having a flop after all that time & work.

Too many batchs for me, I'm going to try that dry hop addition next. Complexity............... that's a new adjective for beer. I'm hooked!

Thanks BM & Jas!
Enjoy I'm going to try some fruit in mt next batch...hopefully in about two weeks

Fermenting - Chocolate Porter
Serving - Tits-Up IIPA, Coffee Stout, Oak Aged IIPA
On Deck - Centennial Blonde, Rye IPA, Coffee Stout

my bar build - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-build-317745/

Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #2398
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

SWMBO and I decided to use this recipe as our first all grain brew. It was inexpensive enough for a practice brew for my new setup. So if I screw it up I'm only out about $30. Yeah the LBHS charges me $4/oz for hops so this was like $8 of my grain bill. Speaking of which, I had to substitute Target (UK) 9% for Centennial as the LHBS said they are only able to get limited amounts. But we could also purchase our hops from someone else if we needed them. (I already sourced 1-6# of Centennial Hops leaf for $14/lb) but don't have them in hand.

So wish me luck on my first all grain attempt. I've only brewed 3 partial mashes. One of which I'm currently drinking. And it's much better than the ones I've tasted from my LHBS. I can hardly wait to try this as my generic house brew for guests etc.

Can hardly wait to get a kegerator!

BTW THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #2399
llama_boy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default BJCP Feedback

I just received my scores from a BJCP event, got a 37 and a 40. This was my first competition but I felt this beer was worthy and I wanted to see what feedback I would receive for a beer I thought was very good. The 37 found the beer a little oxidized while the 40 really didn't name any flaws but did mention a tartness. One judge was certified while the other was a master.

My batch was all according to the original recipe except I used Marris Otter for the base. The 40 mentioned the extra biscuit/malt and thought it made the beer better.

Thanks for the great simple recipe.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #2400
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I brewed this with CTZ and Cascade as it was what I had on hand. Either I should have FWH the CTZ or I'm finding that hop leaves a real bite that I'm not fond of in lower IBU beers. I'm thinking of doing Nugget and Cascade next time. The beer is good, a little over-hopped and the bite is there. Tastes more like a Pale Ale than a Blonde, which means my wife likes it a little less. Good simple recipe that I'll do again with different hops. Glad I'm learning more about my hops though. I like buying in bulk, but knowing which work best with different styles is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply