Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #2231
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

HOLY EFFING ****!
Sorry, had to get that out first. But seriously, I racked this into the keg yesterday after a three week primary and a one week secondary(I'm anal about clarity) to get it carbed up for a family get together next weekend. But last night impatience got the better of me so I pulled of a glass to share with SWMBO and all I can say is that this is by far the best beer I've ever brewed and possibly even tasted!!! It is ridiculously good! It's light, crisp and even SWMBO said it was the best I've ever made and stole the glass from me. My question is, is that there is a distinct citrusy-note to it but not in a bad, off-flavor way(stringent temp control) is this from the hop-profile? Either way, thanks to BM- you sir have made this world a better place!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #2232
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I picked up most of the ingredients today! Shop didn't have any Centennial hops so I went with 7 C's. Going to brew tomorrow and hope to have it ready on Sunday September 16th for a work party. 4 days primary. 3 days secondary. 4 days on gas in keg. Love me BM recipes!

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #2233
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have brewed this 4 times now.. the last three times i used the wlp001 yeast. I have to say, the first batch was epic, but the last 3 were better due to the change of yeast. I actually have half a keg left of the last batch of this and i got weird and used a teaspoon of bitter orange peel for the last 10 minutes and have had crazy reviews from all my friends! By far the best batch using this recipe so far! The 001 and orange peel add such a crispy summerish twist on this beer that its hard to not guzzle every glass! Ill definetly keep this one on tap at all times in my house!! Cheers!!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #2234
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think this is my new house ale. The best part was when I took a sip and the angel trumpets sounded as the unicorns and I danced in the wild flower meadow with the 72 virgins in the warm sunshine. True Story.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #2235
Slyko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoBrewer View Post
I have brewed this 4 times now.. the last three times i used the wlp001 yeast. I have to say, the first batch was epic, but the last 3 were better due to the change of yeast. I actually have half a keg left of the last batch of this and i got weird and used a teaspoon of bitter orange peel for the last 10 minutes and have had crazy reviews from all my friends! By far the best batch using this recipe so far! The 001 and orange peel add such a crispy summerish twist on this beer that its hard to not guzzle every glass! Ill definetly keep this one on tap at all times in my house!! Cheers!!
Orange Peel? I gotta try that!

Now I have 8 lbs of fresh Cascade hops & 8 lbs of fresh Centennial arriving tomorrow, but help me out, I've been told I need to use more fresh hops than pellets. What's the scoop?

BM for President, 2x!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2236
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

8 POUNDS each! Wow, that's a huge haul!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2237
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It just seems like alot more because the pellets are so condensed and the whole are so fluffy. Its still the same ounce to ounce, just need a bigger bowl to measure out the whole leaf.

The orange peel does somethung amazing to the finish of this blonde! Just use a tsp tho, easy to over do it with this stuff!!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #2238
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko

Orange Peel? I gotta try that!

Now I have 8 lbs of fresh Cascade hops & 8 lbs of fresh Centennial arriving tomorrow, but help me out, I've been told I need to use more fresh hops than pellets. What's the scoop?

BM for President, 2x!
I have been wanting to do this all summer! A buddy has Cascade growing in this backyard and has been wanting me to brew something with them. He didn't have much of a crop this year and I have been too busy to squeeze something into the rotation, so I'll be interested to hear how yours turns out.
Remember that the pellets (and normal leaf) hops are dried, and the fresh hops still contain quite a bit of water. I think most say you need to use 5-6 times the weight if you are using fresh (wet) hops, but don't take my word for it. I'm sure you can find the info on the site, or someone will chime in if I am mistaken. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #2239
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdoc

I have been wanting to do this all summer! A buddy has Cascade growing in this backyard and has been wanting me to brew something with them. He didn't have much of a crop this year and I have been too busy to squeeze something into the rotation, so I'll be interested to hear how yours turns out.
Remember that the pellets (and normal leaf) hops are dried, and the fresh hops still contain quite a bit of water. I think most say you need to use 5-6 times the weight if you are using fresh (wet) hops, but don't take my word for it. I'm sure you can find the info on the site, or someone will chime in if I am mistaken. Good luck and keep us updated.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. Are you using whole leaf or fresh(wet) hops? If just whole leaf, use as normal. If wet, you need to account for the water. Regardless, good luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #2240
Slyko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I have no fing clue. My LHBS was jumping up & down about these fresh hops just off the vine. I have no idea what they are, I guess they're just the blossoms picked off the vine. He's telling me to use them immediately cuz they're super FRESH! My beer is gonna be KICK ASS!

Now what about using the rind off fresh oranges????

I guess I'll have to brew a lot of beer with 16 lbs of hops!

Quick Reply