Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #2221
slatkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This was my first all grain. I went with BIAB and was really worried about getting my mash right. Brewed and put in primary sunday 8-19-12 hit O.G. almost spot on at 1.052 five days later it is already at 1.005 and taste great. If it wasnt for wanting to clear it a bit I think it could be bottled and carbed immediatly. This is amazing. I think I may have just found the perfect beer to convert my BMC friends to homebrew and my perfect "Lawnmower" beer once i get the ABV down some. Thanks to the OP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #2222
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did the AG and just kegged today after two weeks in primary. The sample was delicious

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #2223
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
Been trying to get a reply from BM on his recipe.. maybe others can help. There seems to be a slight difference in the ratios of Cara-Pils from the 10G batch to the 5G batch.. I'm wanting to do a 2.5G batch and was wondering if the C-P or any other item would change in ratio. Are both recipes correct or is one a mis-type or ??

Heck.. maybe the difference is negligible. I'm hoping to buy the ingredients to do this after I brew Yooper's Pale Ale.
I'm going to say the difference is negligible, but his math is off on his 11g v s 5.5g batch. He has 1.25lb on the 11g batch which works out to .11lb per gallon. His 5.5gal batch should be .61lb of Carapils, but in reality we're talking about 9.76oz vs 12oz

I took the liberty of throwing his 11g recipe into Beersmith and then scaled it own to 2.5gal for you (I'd still suggest a minimum of a 5.5gal batch, it's a tasty brew). You can ignore the boil sizes as it's based on my equipment profile.

Code:
Recipe: BM Centennial HBT
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.40 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 2.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 105.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2 lbs 13.4 oz         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        72.1 %        
10.4 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    Grain         2        16.4 %        
4.0 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         3        6.4 %         
3.2 oz                Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         4        5.1 %         
0.14 oz               Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min      Hop           5        8.3 IBUs      
0.14 oz               Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min      Hop           6        7.0 IBUs      
0.14 oz               Cascade [7.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           7        4.2 IBUs      
0.14 oz               Cascade [7.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        1.4 IBUs

Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #2224
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just brewed This with all fresh off the bine centennial hops. Hoping if turns out well.

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #2225
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
Thanks for the help. I want a bottling volume of 2.5 G. I'm not positive what my boil off will be with this recipe... I've discussed this in the past and it seems mine is very little. So, I'm going to TOTALLY leave the lid off this time and get a continuous good boil going.. per Yooper. So, I'll figure 3/4 G boil off plus some for the grain plus some for the trub. I'll have to work that part out.. but, hope those numbers for ingredients work out.. or do I have to scale them back up a bit for the extra 1/2 gallon..?

This part is all new to me as it is my first AG. I'll be keeping a close watch on the numbers this time so I can start to develop an equipment profile for myself..
Probably the best way to figure it out is to either, do some brews and see or do a 'dry run' with just water. Don't forget you'll lose some volume to shrinkage when cooling, and some gets left behind in the fermenter when racking to keg or bottling bucket.

The nice thing about using software like beersmith is that once you get it dialed in, it tracks boiloff & absorption rates & deadspace in your equipment profile so you only have to do moderate seasonal adjustments for boiloff differences in summer/winter/fall/spring etc.

That recipe above was geared towards 2.5gal into the fermenter If you aren't comfortable that you'll the numbers dead on you could always add a bit more base 2 row which will end up with either A) on target OG is your need to produce more volume B) slightly higher OG if those numbers are on track.

For me 4% ABV is already on the low end, and I don't usually go lower than 4.5% even for a lawnmower beer. I personally have tuned BM's recipe closer to 5.1% ABV. But that's the awesome thing about this hobby, so many different ways to do things and still end up with tasty beer.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #2226
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agreed - Citra is very citrusy & I think it would be excellent...but not the same beer. I've brewed this & it's very mild - from the malt bill to the hops. Citra will bring a more bitter, fruity profile which I think would be nice, just different than intended. Really depends on your audience's tolerance for hops. If you backed off on the Citra, you may be ok. I'm intrigued myself so if you brew it with Citra, please post the results!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #2227
Czm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

this was my first all grain. transfered to secondary today (needed another fermenter). IT tasted good! Cant wait to keg it.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #2228
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just transferred this to the secondary to crash last night, the hydro sample I pulled was seriously the best I've ever tasted! I'm so excited to get this on tap!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #2229
Dcmpres
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last week I felt the need to experiment with some MO and Amarillo hops as substitues, so I could get an idea of how those would change the brew. It was good, but I enjoyed the original. So today I decided to jump into the my first AG brews after a trip to MoreBeer. I had a couple of hiccups along the way dealing with my set-up, but it went rather smoothly I just say. I batch sparged and figured I might come up a little shy on my OG, but I overshoot it by 4 points. I'll take that. I am looking forward to kegging this up for a work BBQ in two weeks. Thanks, again BM.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #2230
Spicemon1972

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed the extract version of this today and it is happily percolating away in my primary. Funny thing is that I found this recipe on thebeerbarrel.net while searching for a simple blonde recipe. I only found this thread after brewing the beer.
Thanks BM, if my gravity sample is any indication, this is going to be a very delicious beer that I will have trouble keeping in the fridge for any amount of time.
Cheers!

Quick Reply