Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #2201
SoulBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed a batch of this for my "lite" beer drinker friends, who came over for my daughter's first birthday party. They could not finish the keg so I put it in one of my bridges and totally forgot about it. Due to work and other things, I could not make time to brew in the last few months; and today, my last keg of Haus Pale Ale made that dreadful noise that sent me searching my bridges for something to drink. And I found this half full keg of Centennial Blonde that I put away 6 months ago!

Boys! It tastes soooooo good now. I had a glass of two of this when I served it to my friends in February, but it was like mineral water; now it tastes like coke. I wonder has anyone tried to "age" this brew and got the same result? Mine has been on gas and at 40-42* the whole time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #2202
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I brewed up the extract version of this last night, hit my numbers dead on at 1.044. I'm dying to try this out!!! How long should I let this sit before moving into secondary for cold-crashing and then kegging?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #2203
flatrockbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Tried a centennial hop tea in our blonde ale came out awesome. 1 ounce in a French press with unfermented wort then racked the blonde on top.

Lawrence Pritchard III
Flatrock Brewing and Grainery
www.flatrockbrewery.com

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #2204
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahB
I brewed up the extract version of this last night, hit my numbers dead on at 1.044. I'm dying to try this out!!! How long should I let this sit before moving into secondary for cold-crashing and then kegging?
I wouldn't secondary honestly. Let it go a few weeks and keg.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #2205
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1

I wouldn't secondary honestly. Let it go a few weeks and keg.
Even for clarity's sake?? Also, what's "a few weeks"? I've read so many different things in this thread, "grain to glass in two weeks," and then "give it a few extra weeks- it only gets better"...
I'm just a little mixed up on what the general consensus is on this? Honestly, the sooner I can be drinking it the better but I'll be a patient little brewer if it's worth the wait.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #2206
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I made two five gallon batches back in March or so. Primaried for two weeks, secondary for a couple weeks, cold crashed for a week, and carbed for about a week. It was light, crisp, and crystal clear.

I made five gallons about q month ago. Two weeks in the primary and a few days to carb. It's good, but different. Too young, perhaps? The hops are much more present. Almost woody. And the beer is very cloudy.

I'd say if your pipeline is low and need something quick, this beer will do it. If you have time to let it do it's thing, it is much better...

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #2207
Jubilee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dude, BM. Thank you. This recipe is the shiz.

AG, 2 weeks in primary, keg/carb.

So tasty. Cheers, bru.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #2208
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brother in law brewed the extract today but had to substitute Chinook for the Centennial at the recommendation of his LHBS. He also used WLP001.

Thoughts on the chinook?

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #2209
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I've got a friend asking for me to make him a Coors light or Corona clone and I just can't bring myself to waste that much time on something like that. Will this win him over?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #2210
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer
I've got a friend asking for me to make him a Coors light or Corona clone and I just can't bring myself to waste that much time on something like that. Will this win him over?
I brewed 10 gallons of this for myself, and my parents asked me to serve it at their pool party following a wedding reception and it was a smash hit with everyone there. College kids used to drinking the stuff squeezed out of a bar rag, adults into craft beers, some folks from the UK, everyone loved this beer.

It won't have the rice/corn flavor and it will have more hop flavor, but it's nowhere close to an IPA. It's a crowd pleaser. If he doesn't like it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Quick Reply