Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #2181
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anyone substituted Cascade for Centennial? I brewed this up about 4-5 weeks ago, and just tried it. followed the recipe but had to sub Cascade (LHBS was out of Centennial).

Maybe I'm used to stronger, heavier beers, or maybe this wasn't right, but it was just 'okay'. I got rave reviews from the one guy I know that likes the domestics...I dunno. I guess I'll save what I have left and give it away when someone comes a-knockin.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #2182
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeintoledo
Has anyone substituted Cascade for Centennial? I brewed this up about 4-5 weeks ago, and just tried it. followed the recipe but had to sub Cascade (LHBS was out of Centennial).

Maybe I'm used to stronger, heavier beers, or maybe this wasn't right, but it was just 'okay'. I got rave reviews from the one guy I know that likes the domestics...I dunno. I guess I'll save what I have left and give it away when someone comes a-knockin.
I just brewed the exact opposite Didn't have cascade and just use of centennial smell great but haven't tasted it yet I will let you know how it turns out

Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #2183
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

brewed mine up today, followed original recipe all the way. Hit my numbers right on. I did a starter with some washed nottingham, the starter almost blew out the sponge stopper i use so I expect this to be a violent fermentation and fast, which is what I am hoping for.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #2184
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

brewed mine up today, followed original recipe all the way. Hit my numbers right on. I did a starter with some washed nottingham, the starter almost blew out the sponge stopper i use so I expect this to be a violent fermentation and fast, which is what I am hoping for.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #2185
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeintoledo

This is definitely a beer that BMC drinkers should enjoy. A way to lure them over to the craft beer side. You could always add more base malt and/or mash higher to get a little more body. I love this recipe, I'll never make less than 10 gallon batches of it moving forward because any beer drinker can enjoy it.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2186
dave73ok
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Agreed, any less than 10 is setting yourself up for "Where'd it all go??".
It's an easy beer to make, doesn't cost a ton in ingredients, and the recipe as posted is perfect.
And I'm a big-beer hophead. This was one of the first all-grain beers I did a few years back, and when I made it again, I realized that it's perfect for summer.

Carport Brewing- Unprofessional ales brewed in Winona, MN.
http://www.carportbrewing.com

Winona Area Homebrewers
http://www.facebook.com/groups/171955402849593/

Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2187
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im going to drink one when I get home from work tonight!!!!

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #2188
46binder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just got done bottleing this. Used all Centennial hops, hit the OG. Sat on the yeast cake longer than I was hoping, and got FG of 1.005. Tasted the sample, and its good so far. Pleased since this was 2nd AG, 1st that turned out.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #2189
DobrePivo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had a family gathering last weekend on my wife's side. My FIL is a world traveled beer connoisseur and he LOVED this one. Followed the recipe exactly and used my soft Seattle area water. I'm drinking some now. Still watching the gallon lager version clearing up before I bottle and carb. Haven't tried it at all since it's still very young.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #2190
flatrockbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Do you think a dry hop blend of cascade and centennial would be a good addition?

Lawrence Pritchard III
Flatrock Brewing and Grainery
www.flatrockbrewery.com

Quick Reply