Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #2111
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

One of the interesting things about this was the fact that I had to top it up to hit 1.047. Post boil I was at 1.060, but 4.6gallons or thereabouts. I would have sparged longer and with more, but I hit 1.01 and didn't want to draw off tannins....

On the upside, pretty pleased with a nearly 90% BH efficiency. But I wonder if others did the same with the top-up.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #2112
jasert39
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

going to get this brewed monday evening hopefully, actually looking forward to an easy drinking session recipe...thought I had some c10 left but was wrong, used about 1/2 lb of c40, according to beersmith, that makes it keep the same color.

Anyone dry hop this? or is not needed I was thinking about 1/2 oz. of cascade and cent....

Edit: those of you that dry hopped...opinions?

Fermenting - Chocolate Porter
Serving - Tits-Up IIPA, Coffee Stout, Oak Aged IIPA
On Deck - Centennial Blonde, Rye IPA, Coffee Stout

my bar build - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-bar-build-317745/

Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #2113
markb17042
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made 2 extract batches of this, one for myself and one for my parents. One per recipe, the other I dry hopped with 1oz Cascade pellets for 1 week. Personally I loved the dry hopped version as it added a little more nose/flavor but my parents liked the non-dry as it was simple and what they like.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #2114
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Brewing this again today with Wyeast 1272 -- Am. Ale II, alongside an ordinary bitter. I'll be adding strawberries and banana to the secondary for the blonde.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2115
krzewinskibe
Recipes 

Just finished brewing this recipe at 5 gallon size.

Used exact grain bill, held mash at 150 for 75min. Ended up getting 6.75gal @ 1.035 BG (75.1% mash efficiency per Beersmith)

Boiled per recipe for 60min with prescribed hop additions. Added 1 tab of whirlfloc at 15min left.

OG ended up at 1.040 (corrected). Looks like it should clear up nicely. The particulates were dropping out in the measurement tube.

Transferred 5gal into primary fermenter and pitched a small yeast starter of nottingham which I started last night (used 1pt of water with 1/2 cup of DME)

hydrometer.jpg  

Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #2116
jasert39
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb17042
I made 2 extract batches of this, one for myself and one for my parents. One per recipe, the other I dry hopped with 1oz Cascade pellets for 1 week. Personally I loved the dry hopped version as it added a little more nose/flavor but my parents liked the non-dry as it was simple and what they like.
Looks like ill try dry hopping half of my 10 gallon batch then...thanks for the response

Fermenting - Chocolate Porter
Serving - Tits-Up IIPA, Coffee Stout, Oak Aged IIPA
On Deck - Centennial Blonde, Rye IPA, Coffee Stout

my bar build - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-bar-build-317745/

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #2117
CS223
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed up a batch BIAB last weekend. OG ended up at 1.048 and FG 1.009 'ish after 4 days. Got it cold crashing at the the moment. It's a bit cloudy but it tastes great. Going to rack it to a second corney and see if I can get it to clear up a little more. Used Irish moss in the boil but I didn't whirlpool or try to separate the trub before kegging it.

Counter pressure racked it to the serving keg. Grain to glass in 8 days, some tasty stuff. This is going to be a regular on tap.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #2118
thirst4hops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so a question for this brew.

I posted the other day about a small hop mishap. Wrong amounts from my LHBS and I didn't double check before the first addition. Other than the hops, I followed the extract recipe. Here is what ended up being my hop schedule.

.9 oz Cent. (45 m)
.3 oz Cent (20 m)
.25 oz Casc (10 m)
.3 oz Cent (5 m)
.25 oz Cent (5 m)

Here are my questions:

1) I brewed on 7/5. What are the odds of having it ready by 7/29? I normally like to try and do two weeks in primary, two weeks in secondary, 11-14 days in bottles before cracking any open. But from what I'm reading (and seeing), this beer fermented fast! I plan to take a gravity reading on Tuesday and Wednesday and see what I get. If I can rack over after one week, that gives me about a week in secondary, and 11 days in the bottle to carbonate. Am I pushing my luck?

2) I'm considering adding some lemon (or orange) zest to secondary. I figured I may as well get adventurous considering the hop bill was already eff'd. Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking for more of an aromatic than a flavor. Something subtle. If I do it, I'd be sure to only get zest and no pith, and I'd soak in vodka overnight.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #2119
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're looking to have ready by 7/29, you do not have time for secondary. Nor is it necessary IMO. Soak the zest in some vodka & chuck it in for a few days max. You need to bottle it by this weekend at the latest to meet that timeframe.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2120
foodplusbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this on JUNE [EDIT] 23, had it in the keg on July 1, and my friends and I drank it all at my July 4th BBQ. From grain to glass to empty keg in less than 12 days! Great recipe if you need beer fast, thanks.

Quick Reply