Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks a lot BM. Much appreciated. As I've seen you've found in my other thread, I've just purchased all the ingredients for your recipe and I look forward to brewing it tomorrow! I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #12
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

This beer rocks. I'm drinking one from the man himself.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Steiner
Recipes 

I just bottled your extract conversion two days back BM. Tasted pretty good with a decent hop aroma. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was hoping to make this beer soon, but my LHBS doesn't carry centennial and 1 oz of hops costs less than shipping, so that seems silly. Is there a good substitute? I was thinking maybe 1 oz of cascade at 55min and 1 oz cascade at 35 min and then continue per the recipe, or could I replace the centennial with chinook?

I priced this out at my LHBS and it looks like it will run around $25 for the 10gal batch, that's dirt cheap!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw
I was hoping to make this beer soon, but my LHBS doesn't carry centennial and 1 oz of hops costs less than shipping, so that seems silly. Is there a good substitute? I was thinking maybe 1 oz of cascade at 55min and 1 oz cascade at 35 min and then continue per the recipe, or could I replace the centennial with chinook?

I priced this out at my LHBS and it looks like it will run around $25 for the 10gal batch, that's dirt cheap!
You could use cascade, but I wanted a bit less grapefruit to this beer. A low amount of a high AA hop gives it a crisp balance without being too hoppy. Too much hop aroma/flavor and you may narrow the crowd that likes it.

Nugget hops are a suitable replacement. They'll be a bit higher Alpha so you'd need to adjust some using Beersmith (et al).

Looks like if you replace the two centennial additions with one addition of .75 Oz of nugget at 60 minutes, you’ll be pretty spot n.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do you think about Safale US-05 (or US56) instead of the Nottingham? Same same or will it effect the flavor? I'm all for using dry yeast w/o starter on a house favorite as you are leaning here.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouT
What do you think about Safale US-05 (or US56) instead of the Nottingham? Same same or will it effect the flavor? I'm all for using dry yeast w/o starter on a house favorite as you are leaning here.
That's a great choice. That was my go to yeast until I got stocked on notty. Should not affect the flavor at all on a light grain bill like this.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you were doing this with Maris Otter, wouldn't you leave out the vienna and crystal? I'm thinking it will already have enough malt backbone right?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If you were doing this with Maris Otter, wouldn't you leave out the vienna and crystal? I'm thinking it will already have enough malt backbone right?
That's a good point.

Depends for me on the time of year. Hot weather, I'd lean towards a Pilsner to keep it crisper.

Cold weather, I might opt for the maltier profile of MO + the specialties.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The reason I bring it up is all I have is MO and I'm brewing tomorrow. I'm thinking of going pure MO with 3% carapils. That's it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply