Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #1801
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick report. This beer has been in the keg for a few weeks now and is really coming into its prime. I will admit though that S-04 is not the best yeast for this beer. I fermented in the mid 60s and still get some bready flavors/aroma from the yeast because there isn't enough malt to hide it. Not bad at all though. I had some friends over yesterday that drink bud light exclusively and they kept asking for more. I consider that a success! So my only change would be to use a cleaner yeast for the next batch. I'll probably brew this one again and use US 05.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #1802
MMachi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed 5 gallons all grain yesterday and I struggled with mash temp (likely mashed a bit low), but hit my SG on the nose after the 75 minute boil. This is my first batch with Notty and it seems to be a slow start. I have a small krausen and a little airlock activity. I'm looking forward to a crystal clear and bright beer in a few weeks.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1803
chays99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this yesterday too. It was my second all grain attempt. I struggled with my mash temp too. I stayed around 147-149. Everything else was pretty close.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1804
cperry7467
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this last night for my first all grain brew. Went well, anxious to try it.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #1805
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy
Just wanted to give a quick report. This beer has been in the keg for a few weeks now and is really coming into its prime. I will admit though that S-04 is not the best yeast for this beer. I fermented in the mid 60s and still get some bready flavors/aroma from the yeast because there isn't enough malt to hide it. Not bad at all though. I had some friends over yesterday that drink bud light exclusively and they kept asking for more. I consider that a success! So my only change would be to use a cleaner yeast for the next batch. I'll probably brew this one again and use US 05.
I used 05. Tasted hydro sample today. Pretty clean, a little bready, some clean hops, very light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #1806
BeachBeerBoobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tasted a bit bitter and cidery after a week in the keg. Slight sweetness to it though. Used Nottingham and followed the AG recipe exactly. Will the bitterness and cider flavor mellow out? Hoping I didn't get an infection.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #1807
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBeerBoobs
Tasted a bit bitter and cidery after a week in the keg. Slight sweetness to it though. Used Nottingham and followed the AG recipe exactly. Will the bitterness and cider flavor mellow out? Hoping I didn't get an infection.
Mine had a little bitterness to it also, it has gotten better with age. It has been in the keg for 3 weeks now. It is also the first time I have used notty, I will try it again with s-05 and see if there is any difference.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #1808
tre9er
Recipes 

I have a sour smell, slightly, but I'm still at some krausen and only a week in the fermenter. I've two cases of another brew that will be ready soon enough, so I'm going to try my best to leave this one in the fermenter for 2+weeks.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1809
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I try to leave most of my beers in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. Just because beer is attenuated down doesnt mean there isnt still work to be done in that fermenter.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #1810
tre9er
Recipes 

I know, I know...my pipeline isn't too strong right now, though, which makes me damn impatient. I hate buying store beer, too.

Quote:

Quick Reply