So I tried to brew this yesterday (the 5 gallon version). My first AG after three extracts and two partials (all of them wheat by the way). Seemed like a good recipe to start AG, as OP said "hard to screw recipe" but I guess I managed to screw it up anyway.
I can't do full volume boils yet so I went with Maxi-BIAB in an 18 liter pot. Adjusted recipe with the Maxi-BIAB calculator from biabrewer.info. Brew day went pretty good, or at least so I felt. I mashed in the pot at 65.5C (more like 66), insulated with a sleeping bag, after 70 minutes it was at 65C, so I really haven't lost temperature. I had a post-mash gravity of 1.082 and was pretty certain I'm on track.
It seems I made a few key mistakes:
1. Left too much wort in the pot after the boil, I should have continued straining it into the fermenter even though it had a lot of trub in it.
2. Didn't take a post boil gravity reading, which would have helped me calculate how much water to add (with Maxi-BIAB you have to do post-boil dilution).
3. Diluted too much. Went according to target volume instead of target OG.
So I ended with an OG of 1.032 where I expected 1.042-1.046. That's a very big difference. I wonder if my mash wasn't very efficient too.
Live and learn I guess, I'm hopeful it will still turn out a good beer, even if on the weak side.
Attached is a picture of the beer 12 hours after pitching the yeast.
Oh yeast, you magnificent bastards.
Last edited by ido50; 01-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.