Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #1521
DrMega
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been definitively answered. Is there a consensus on length of bottle conditioning for this recipe? Mine's only been bottled for about a week but having read all the glowing reviews I'm really itching to try some.

I found a post that said it was good after a week, and another that said it tasted "green" after three weeks. I'm a brewing newb and even newbier at AG (this is my first try) so I don't want to disappoint myself by jumping the gun...

As always, thanks in advance!

= DM =

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #1522
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For some reason my beer takes a while to clear. At 2 months it was crystal clear and tastes amazing. Definitely going to be on trap every summer!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #1523
sigurdur
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMega View Post
Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been definitively answered. Is there a consensus on length of bottle conditioning for this recipe? Mine's only been bottled for about a week but having read all the glowing reviews I'm really itching to try some.

I found a post that said it was good after a week, and another that said it tasted "green" after three weeks. I'm a brewing newb and even newbier at AG (this is my first try) so I don't want to disappoint myself by jumping the gun...

As always, thanks in advance!

= DM =
What I found best in my first AG was the taste of success, so I'm sure you'll do alright for yourself!

Anyway, I find that generally APA's taste the best when allowed for two weeks in the fermentation vessel and three weeks on the bottle.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #1524
Tandor
Recipes 

I just opened my first bottle after a week carbing and a week chilling and it was good. Got three more chilling now. It can't hurt to try one.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #1525
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandor
I just opened my first bottle after a week carbing and a week chilling and it was good. Got three more chilling now. It can't hurt to try one.
Why don't you let them carb for 3 weeks. Then try it

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #1526
blhblah1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hi all,
I'll be doing my first BIAB all grain batch with the 5 gallon recipe and I had a question about the mash/sparge volumes. I'm looking at the program Brewtarget (http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/) that was mentioned earlier in this thread which includes this recipe as one of its default recipes. For the mash schedule it recommends 2.8 gallons @ 161 degrees for the mash infusion then 4.1 gallons for the sparge infusion. Would I be able to add all of the volume of water at once (6.9 gallons), mash for an hour, remove the grain/drain, raise the temp to 177 and then return the grain to the pot to sparge for 15 more minutes? Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #1527
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhblah1 View Post
Hi all,
Would I be able to add all of the volume of water at once (6.9 gallons), mash for an hour, remove the grain/drain, raise the temp to 177 and then return the grain to the pot to sparge for 15 more minutes? Thanks!
Yes that will work well for BIAB as long as you pot is big enough to hold the grain and that much water.

I do BIAB in a 30 qt 7.5 gallon pot. For me I start with 6 gallons of water for the mash. When I pull the bag I put it in a 5 gallon bucket and pour 1.5-2 gallons of 190F water on it. I then heat the mash wort to 170 and put the bag back in the kettle for another 10 minutes. Combining the bucket wort with the boil kettle wort gives me about 7 gallons for the boil which provides about 5.5 gallons of beer.

If I had a bigger pot I would start with 7.5-8 gallons of water.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #1528
KungPao
Recipes 

Has anyone racked this recipe onto any type of nut? I just made my second batch of this and hit an OG of 1.050. I was tempted to rack a couple of gallons onto about a half a pound of pecans or some other variety of nuts, open to suggestions. Toasted almonds also sounded pretty interesting.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #1529
sinisterkid
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

those type of nuts are oily.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #1530
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewing ten gallons of this today. Splitting it and fermenting half with apricot puree.

Quick Reply