Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #1501
KungPao
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made this as my first brew ever. Did a 5 gallon all grain batch and hit an OG of 1.045 that fermented down to a 1.004. It was kept in primary for 1 week and secondary for around 10 days, then transferred to keg and force carbonated. I kicked the keg last night (with the help of friends of course) it lasted all of about 6 days! I will be making another batch of this very soon, excellent recipe BM thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #1502
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Two weeks in the primary and my beer has things floating on the surface. Not sure if they're just floating yeast, but does this look ok? There's no webs or anything so I'm hoping it's not an infection. This is BM's centennial by the way, hence why I'm posting it here. Thanks

I used Notty yeast.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #1503
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I think you're fine. Lots of junk will appear at the top of your beer. 99.9% of the time it's just residual fermentation. Stay the course.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #1504
cjham9985
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so thursday night we will be brewing the Centennial Blonde as our first All Grain brew. After going through the first 15 pages of this seriously long post in search of my answer, i figured i would just post. For a 5 gallon batch, what is your mash volume? And does anyone do a sparge (if so, how much volume there)? Still getting in to the swing of things. Got about a half dozen extract brews under our belt, but this is the first all grain brew with the full setup. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #1505
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

The sparge is the rinsing of the sugars from the grains. It's rare to not do one, but some people simply use a lot more grain and skip it. There is evidence, possibly anecdotal, that doing a no-sparge batch makes a better beer. It's certainly inefficient.

Otherwise you could figure out your grain to water to a ration of say, 1.3 Quarts per pound. Account for grain absorption, and do the mash. Then rinse with enough water to reach your preboil volume. You could split that amount into two and sparge twice, or sparge once with the whole amount (if you have room in your mash tun). This is batch sparging.

You could also continually rinse by matching the mash tun drain rate with an equal amount of sparge water and collect until you reach your pre-boil volume. This is Fly sparging. I think batch sparging is easier to start with.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #1506
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Here's an interesting decision I have to make:
I'm brewing this (all grain) tomorrow. I had planned on going direct to keg with no secondary.
Due to travel schedule, I can make the transfer to keg either 8, 14, or 25 days in the primary. Of course I prefer the 8 days just so I can start carbing and drinking it sooner but don't want to adversely effect the beer or not give it time to clarify.
This keg will be transported so I want it as clear as possible.
Should there be a noticeable difference between 14 and 25 days in primary?
What do you guys think?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #1507
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

depending on which yeast you use I had some funky smells and bitterness from Notty that went away around week 3 in primary

Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #1508
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yo, Beav..........i would go with 14 to 25 days in primary. If you can get away with 25 then do it. I do about a month for almost all of my beers. If 14 works better i think you will be OK too. I try to stay away from the one week primary, just too many variables foe me personally. Others do it with success , but I'd rather err on the side of longer in the primary. I would also rather wait on better beer, rather than rush mediocre beer.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your brew.........i have this batch in the primary right now.

Peace in the middle east!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #1509
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post
I would also rather wait on better beer, rather than rush mediocre beer.

Peace in the middle east!!!!!!
I think you're right, I'll wait.

As far as peace in the middle east? Ain't gonna happen until people stop believing in magical fairy tales of guys who live in the sky and grant wishes.

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #1510
casey914
Recipes 

just transferred at 1 week in the primary. my OG(extract was) 1.045 and I transferred today at 1.012... Taste was good... still quite green and almost talked like it was a little carbed.. guess that was because it was so green still. Will let sit 2 weeks in secondary and then bottle!

Quick Reply