Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #141
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed this a month ago and it has turned out great. I bottled up 5 gallons for a friend that had a baby recently, no time to brew, nothing even in his fermenters right now, figured he needs some good homebrew to get through the first few months

Anyway, I plan on dry hopping my other 5 gallons of this. I've never dryhopped but I have a brewpub down the street and I always love the aroma from their brews, so I think this may get me closer.

I plan on using some whole leaf cascade, zip tied to the dip tube and some SS balls in the hop bag. Should I do a full ounce, only .5? Also do I need to take it out at some point or wait for the keg to blow?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #142
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I like the dry hop idea but you'll start to shrink the audience a bit...but that's okay.

I'd do 1/2 ounce and don't worry about leaving it in the keg until it's empty...unless you think that will take months.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #143
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
I just tasted this beer on my lunch break and something is off. The ibu's seem to be about double what they should be. I had to switch the Centennials with Sorachi Ace. I know the the Sorachi's are higher AA so I cut the amount down from .5 to .2. I have no idea what is going on. It's not like there is anything wrong with the beer, it tastes fine. It is rather crisp and clean, its just that the sorachi bitterness seems to be overpowering for this type of beer. I hit all my gravity points. Did a full boil like always. What gives here?
If you measured the hops correctly and boiled for 60 minutes then you will have the correct ibu's. The higher AA hops just probably need more time to mellow than Centennial. If you give this beer the full 6 weeks I bet it will taste perfect.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #144
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought maybe that was the case. I'm just not sure. The hop flavor right now is definitely not in balance. I know that at the 20-22 IBU range it should not be as bitter as it is now. BM mentioned something about the centennials being "nice" enough to drink this beer quickly. Maybe my Sorachi's are just not playing well with others. I hope it mellows because I seem to be the first person to have a problem with this beer. I'll drink this no problem, I just wanted to share this with my friends that think anything other than BMC is "hoppy." Meatheads.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #145
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
I thought maybe that was the case. I'm just not sure. The hop flavor right now is definitely not in balance. I know that at the 20-22 IBU range it should not be as bitter as it is now. BM mentioned something about the centennials being "nice" enough to drink this beer quickly. Maybe my Sorachi's are just not playing well with others. I hope it mellows because I seem to be the first person to have a problem with this beer. I'll drink this no problem, I just wanted to share this with my friends that think anything other than BMC is "hoppy." Meatheads.
Sorachi can be feisty. Park it for few weeks.

If you need something a bit more mellow, try the cream ale recipe..it's pretty quick from grain to glass.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #146
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, that was actually my next course of action. I should tell my friends to eat it, and brew what I want. I suppose nothing good can come of it anyway. If I make something they like they're going to drink up all my work. Why exactly is Sorachi that way? Is it the high AA% or just that certain types of hops need to be aged longer?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #147
Tankard
Recipes 

It's been 9 days since I brewed this beer. I will be bottling it on Wednesday, which is a full two weeks. Does this sound about right? I know you said this beer doesn't take a lot of aging.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #148
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
It's been 9 days since I brewed this beer. I will be bottling it on Wednesday, which is a full two weeks. Does this sound about right? I know you said this beer doesn't take a lot of aging.
Longer is always better, but this grain bill is very light and the IBU's are low enough that you can get by with less time than normal. Plus, your bottle conditioning, so that gives you an added 3-4 weeks of conditioning before serving.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #149
Tankard
Recipes 

I wish I could stretch it out for 3 weeks in the primary, but I am taking a vacation that forces me to bottle it this next coming week.

Hopefully the bottles will be ready when I get back.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #150
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made this last Saturday 6-28, used partial mash, hit OG on the button. It was bubbling like crazy on Sunday, very slow Monday..

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Quick Reply