Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1481
pvburton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok, 3 weeks into bottle conditioning of my WLP-005 high-efficiency take on this after 3 weeks in primary. I tried 2 bottles last week and it was harsh/"green". Seeing nucleation on the inside of my bottles, more towards the bottom; wondering if this is a sign its still not done? Should I throw a bottle in the fridge for a few days and try mid week or give it another bunch of days to mature?

First bottle-conditioned batch (brew partner has a kegging system) so I'm a bit anxious...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #1482
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvburton
Ok, 3 weeks into bottle conditioning of my WLP-005 high-efficiency take on this after 3 weeks in primary. I tried 2 bottles last week and it was harsh/"green". Seeing nucleation on the inside of my bottles, more towards the bottom; wondering if this is a sign its still not done? Should I throw a bottle in the fridge for a few days and try mid week or give it another bunch of days to mature?

First bottle-conditioned batch (brew partner has a kegging system) so I'm a bit anxious...
3 weeks bottle conditioned at what temp?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1483
pvburton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
3 weeks bottle conditioned at what temp?
House is on our 69-73 A/C program, keeping them in a mostly dark laundry room in boxes.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #1484
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very strange after 6 weeks (3 + 3) it taste harsh/green. Could it be off flavor due to your water?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1485
pvburton
Recipes 

Quote:
Very strange after 6 weeks (3 + 3) it taste harsh/green. Could it be off flavor due to your water?
Dunno, last batch with my tap water (Porter) was very tasty -- still haven't tasted a 3 week bottle, the 2 week-ers are what was disappointing. I had my hydro sample before conditioning in a wine glass and it was very pleasant, so i'm hoping its just some sort of volatility from the incomplete carbonation process. I guess I'll chill one down and take a shot at it tonight.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #1486
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've heard darker beers hide some off flavors that lighter beers can't. Do you treat your water. I always use campden. Just a thought.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #1487
pvburton
Recipes 

Quote:
I've heard darker beers hide some off flavors that lighter beers can't. Do you treat your water. I always use campden. Just a thought.
No treatment; my water certainly isn't hard (unlike my parent's house) but I'm not sure what else (if anything) could be up with it -- I'll let the thread know the verdict in a few days.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #1488
gkal1964
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino24 View Post
Hi all....I made this last year...great beer. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has used S-05 in this beer and if so do you think it would taste much different than if Notty was used? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkal1964 View Post
Tasting update: Let me start by saying I nor anyone who taste tested this beer is a BJCP judge or even a beer tasting expert. All 4 beers came out excellent and any one of these yeasts works great in this recipe. The overall consensus is that the 1028 London ale was the least favorite but still a good beer, very crisp and a touch drier. from here you really are splitting hairs. If we had to make a decision, the Nottingham would probably be third. we really could not pick a winner between the US-05 and the 1056, both yeasts seem to offer a bit more complexity and the malt flavor of the beer seems slightly brighter with some fruit and floral notes. I have to stress these are very slight differences and taste is subjective. I will say I have made this beer many times and my best tasting batches have been with Wyeast 1056 yeast, the best being a 3rd generation re-pitch. Hope this helps. And thanks again to Biermuncher for this awesome recipe.
Here is a previous post where I talk about using different yeast strains in this beer. To summarize, the US-05 is excellent in this beer. Good Luck

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #1489
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Brewed this with a friend's daughter this weekend. However, I missed the mash temp and ended up mashing at around 150. How do you think this will affect the beer?

Also, OG ended up being 1.044.

We basically brewed it for him. He doesn't like beer much, but seems to like this one ok enough. I'll probalby help him drink it though... Hopefully it will be light, but still tasty.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #1490
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

isn't the mash temp suppose to be 150?

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Quick Reply