Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #1391
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Just brewed my second batch of this. Thsi was my first brew this year (the last batch was done Sept. 2010). I made a few tweaks to my system but nothing major. I don't know what I did or how I achieved it but I managed 90% efficiency.

I'm curious to see how this batch turns out compared to the first one whioch came in at 75% eff. One thing is for certain...this batch opf Nottty was a hell of a lot healthier. When I brewed this last year is when teh bad batch of Notty was making the rounds. When I tried to rehydrate that packet, it looked like rice grain in the bottom of teh measuring cup. This time around...a cloudy, slurry mess!

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #1392
cmw6300
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw6300 View Post
Just got done brewing my first batch of this as my third brew ever. Everything went well until I pitched my yeast. I received my ingredients today from AHS and when I opened the box my Wyeast was already swollen so I immediately decided to brew today rather than on Friday. When I pitched my yeast I was expecting to see the inner bag popped but it wasn't. I went ahead and popped the inner bag and dumped what was in the inner bag into my cooled wort. I hope I didn't screw anything up by doing this but I guess I will see in the morning. Right now she is sitting comfortably at 65 in a 67 degree closet.
Quick update. I went home at lunch and checked on my batch and thankfully the blow-off tube I have attached to it is chugging away steadily. It definitely isn't a vigorous fermentation by far but I'm assuming that is since it is sitting at about 65-66 degrees right now.

Drinking: Wee Heavy
Primary 1: Brown Bear Porter
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Aging: Snowcloud Chocolate Millk Stout

Next up: Kicking Horse Helles

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #1393
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I'm cleaning out a keg about to throw in a batch of this to get carbing underway. This is after seven days. It may not be as great as it could be but hey the pipeline is dry and this beer is usually not too shabby this young. A few sulphur notes linger but that will fade in a week or so I'm sure.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #1394
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, from my previous thread, you may know I brewed the extract version of this. Last week, it had a strong bitter aftertaste. (Reminder: I love hoppy beers but this was a different kind of bitter). Wife got me a few beers for Father's Day and had a busy working weekdn so the homebrew sat in the keg untouched all weekend. Poured one last night and WOW! Huge difference! Now it is much more the summertime session type beer everyone keeps describing. I can see how this stuff can disappear quick.

Gotta figure out how to mount a small kegerator on my lawnmower!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #1395
Countrysquire
Recipes 

OK, made an all grain batch (my second AG), fermented for 2 weeks at 72, 3 day cold crash, then force carbed in the keg. Simply outstanding. Easy to see the wild appeal. The color is great, but I do still have a bit of chill haze that should clear up, if the beer lasts that long!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #1396
sigurdur
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bottled this ~3 weeks ago after leaving it on the yeast cake in 18°C for almost half a year.
I tasted this yesterday and man.. it may be old, but it's good (not a hint of yeast autolysis even).

Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #1397
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
OK, from my previous thread, you may know I brewed the extract version of this. Last week, it had a strong bitter aftertaste. (Reminder: I love hoppy beers but this was a different kind of bitter). Wife got me a few beers for Father's Day and had a busy working weekdn so the homebrew sat in the keg untouched all weekend. Poured one last night and WOW! Huge difference! Now it is much more the summertime session type beer everyone keeps describing. I can see how this stuff can disappear quick.

Gotta figure out how to mount a small kegerator on my lawnmower!
This was my experience as well. The beer can be bitter/astringent when first kegged, but it mellows very quickly. Maybe just a characteristic of the Centennial hops.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #1398
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewed up an extract version of this yesterday. I had a pound of Munich 10l that I needed to use up. I paired it with 1/2 lb of Lt. Carastan (17L). I left out the carapils and used 3.5 lbs DME.

I went all Centennial. Hit 21.8 IBU's. I was a little darker than the original at 5.5 but still within style guidelines for a blonde. I'm really looking forward to drinking this one.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #1399
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone have this recipe in BeerSmith format?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #1400
VApatriot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
I bottled my first batch of this on 5/27, I'll let you know how mine came out in about a month or so.
Update: I tried my first bottle of this yesterday (6/26) after not quite two full days in the fridge. The only word I can use to describe the flavor is FANTASTIC! I think that a little more time in the fridge will clear up the chill haze but other than that, this one's a definite keeper. Great recipe BM! I'll definitely be making this one again, and again. Absolutely delicious!

Quick Reply