Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1381
KozHops
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewater View Post
I just bottled this one up yesterday. Fermented 19 days in primary.

Got 58 12 oz out of the batch and hit the gravity numbers dead on. Hydro sample was delicious. Looking forward to this one. I am leaving on a 2 week plus road trip so this will be waiting for me upon my return. Think it will be carbed by July 4? That will be 4 days shy of 3 weeks.
I think you'll be good to go. I don't really think this beer needs the full 3 weeks although I'm sure it gets better with time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #1382
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Mine is not a success so far. Probably just needs more time in the keg. Only kegged it a week ago, but it seems to be developing an astringent quality, more so than when it was in the fermenter. Don't know what could be wrong. Hit all temps and gravity readings dead on. Fermented for two weeks at 68 degrees. Then I filtered and kegged.

This happened the last time I made this as well, only that time my sparge water got the mash way too hot, up to 180. That time beer was astringent going into the fermenter and never changed. I wound up dumping half of it.

Hopefully this will mellow out. I just dry hopped half with more centennial.
Just an update, a few more days in the keg and this is already mellowing and smoothing nicely. Not sure why it seemed so astringent upon first filtering and transferring to kegs, but now it's tasting nice and only getting better.

I'm too impatient with all these stories of 3 weeks grain to glass. I think 5 weeks is usually a better plan. Must learn patience! Not sure why this is an issue. I have four other beers on tap. LOL.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #1383
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Just an update, a few more days in the keg and this is already mellowing and smoothing nicely. Not sure why it seemed so astringent upon first filtering and transferring to kegs, but now it's tasting nice and only getting better.

I'm too impatient with all these stories of 3 weeks grain to glass. I think 5 weeks is usually a better plan. Must learn patience! Not sure why this is an issue. I have four other beers on tap. LOL.
I agree.. I thought that once I started kegging I'd be drinking beer that much quicker. Sure it's carbonated, but it NEVER tastes like it should. I'm always disappointed when I drink it green, but once it's had 2 weeks in the keg, it's like a different beer.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1384
Kaewan
Recipes 

Just brewed two batches of this with about week in between. The first one has been in bottles for a little over a week now. When I racked the first to secondary it had a very sulphury smell but now after a week conditioning it has lost that smell (tried one just recently) and tastes good. The second batch didn't seem to have that sulphury smell. I'm going to bottle the second batch in a few days so I should be able to get a sneak peek at that one. This is the first time I've ever used Nottingham so I'm not sure what caused the sulphur.. they both fermented kinda high (72/73) though. I've mostly used Safale 05 in the past.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #1385
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaewan
Just brewed two batches of this with about week in between. The first one has been in bottles for a little over a week now. When I racked the first to secondary it had a very sulphury smell but now after a week conditioning it has lost that smell (tried one just recently) and tastes good. The second batch didn't seem to have that sulphury smell. I'm going to bottle the second batch in a few days so I should be able to get a sneak peek at that one. This is the first time I've ever used Nottingham so I'm not sure what caused the sulphur.. they both fermented kinda high (72/73) though. I've mostly used Safale 05 in the past.
I usually get the sulphur smell with Nottingham. It's normal and fades quickly. You really want to ferment under 70 though.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #1386
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Huh, I've never had sulfur from Notty before. But was your ambient temperature 72/73 or was that the temp of your wort? If that's ambient temp then during the height of fermentation you're probably at something like 80*F. That will cause some off flavors.

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #1387
Kaewan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Huh, I've never had sulfur from Notty before. But was your ambient temperature 72/73 or was that the temp of your wort? If that's ambient temp then during the height of fermentation you're probably at something like 80*F. That will cause some off flavors.
Ambient. Fermentation temp was probably much higher as you say, unfortunately.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #1388
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Well at least it's vanished. I've had sulfur action from a different yeast that never went away.

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1389
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing this up for my brewclub's Summer Club Brew (for our eventual Summer Club Party) and adding in a little meyer's lemon zest from 2-3 lemons. Stoked!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #1390
cmw6300
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Just got done brewing my first batch of this as my third brew ever. Everything went well until I pitched my yeast. I received my ingredients today from AHS and when I opened the box my Wyeast was already swollen so I immediately decided to brew today rather than on Friday. When I pitched my yeast I was expecting to see the inner bag popped but it wasn't. I went ahead and popped the inner bag and dumped what was in the inner bag into my cooled wort. I hope I didn't screw anything up by doing this but I guess I will see in the morning. Right now she is sitting comfortably at 65 in a 67 degree closet.

Drinking: Wee Heavy
Primary 1: Brown Bear Porter
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Aging: Snowcloud Chocolate Millk Stout

Next up: Kicking Horse Helles

Quick Reply