Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 AM   #121
CHansen6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed this up yesterday afternoon. A slightly higher initial centennial addition. I also clocked in around 1.042 OG. My AA% were a bit lower than yours, so I had to up it slightly to get the IBU back up. Despite some minor spills, everything seemed to go well. Turns out the fermentation was slightly more vigorous that expected. I went to my parents house for the day, and returned to find the top had popped itself off. I'm not sure how long it has been off. Somewhere between 0 and 15 hours. Hopefully it didn't get contaminated. It doesn't seem to be bubbling in the airlock anymore, but perhaps it needs time to re-establish pressure or something.

Unfortunately, the all the lights are out in my house, so I can't see the extent of any over flow. It doesn't seem to be bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #122
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I decided to go with this instead of the New Castle clone for my first AG. Boiling it right now. As far as I can tell, everything couldn't have gone better. Unfortunately, I had to switch the Centennials with Sorachi Ace. Bumped them down to .20 ozs because they're at 14%. I'm waiting to for the sample to cool so I can figure my efficency. Looks good though. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #123
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT View Post
I decided to go with this instead of the New Castle clone for my first AG. Boiling it right now. As far as I can tell, everything couldn't have gone better. Unfortunately, I had to switch the Centennials with Sorachi Ace. Bumped them down to .20 ozs because they're at 14%. I'm waiting to for the sample to cool so I can figure my efficency. Looks good though. Thanks for the recipe.
Let us know how the sorachi turns out.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #124
Tankard
Recipes 

Biermuncher, my LHBS has Cascade in pellet form and Centennial in whole leaf form. What should I do? Should I bother with hop bags? If so, which of the hops would benefit the most from using the hop bag? Will I have any problem with the fact that the hop pellets will be more utilized than the centennials?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #125
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
Biermuncher, my LHBS has Cascade in pellet form and Centennial in whole leaf form. What should I do? Should I bother with hop bags? If so, which of the hops would benefit the most from using the hop bag? Will I have any problem with the fact that the hop pellets will be more utilized than the centennials?
Either form of hops will work and the difference in utilization shouldn't be a concern.

Use your hop bag like you normally would (if you use one). I usually use the bag for the pellets and let the whole hops float since they don't pose quite the siphoning challenge that pellets do.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #126
Tankard
Recipes 

Sounds good. Thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #127
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going to brew this later today or tomorrow. My LHBS doesn't have any crystal 10. Should I use crystal 20 but just use half as much?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #128
boyurboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any thoughts as I get ready to do this today on how badly my lack of planning has let me down since I could only get muntons, coopers, or windsor dry yeast...? Which would you recommend?

-- Jon

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #129
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Brewing this tomorrow; my LHBS didn't have Crystal 10 either... so i'm just using crystal 20. I'm expecting a little more caramel sweetness and a bit darker beer but not by much. Any other issues with using 20?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #130
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
Brewing this tomorrow; my LHBS didn't have Crystal 10 either... so i'm just using crystal 20. I'm expecting a little more caramel sweetness and a bit darker beer but not by much. Any other issues with using 20?
The flavor difference will not be noticeable. The color will probably come in around the same as a Miller Genuine Draft.

Good luck.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply