Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #1201
Time-Travelers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
What type of modifications should I make to the 5 gallon recipe if I were to use the Brew In A Bag method? Would the grain bill stay the same?
First let me say this was my first all-grain and first biab. I used the excel spreadsheet (The Calculator.xls) from the Aussie website www.biabrewer.info.

Using the efficiency of 79% from the spreadsheet, my grain bill remained the same, however I did have the grains run through the mill a second time for a finer crush.

I started with 9-gals of water in my 62-qt bayou classic brewpot and did a 90-min mash as well as a 90-min boil.

I missed my OG a bit (1.047), I think I had more of a boil-off than anticipated (maybe boiled too hard?) and my FG was 1.010.

We bottled last week and I snuck one over the weekend and it tastes great - can't wait until the next one.

p.s. I also incorporated the no-chill method with this batch and loved it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #1202
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time-Travelers View Post
First let me say this was my first all-grain and first biab. I used the excel spreadsheet (The Calculator.xls) from the Aussie website www.biabrewer.info.

I missed my OG a bit (1.047), I think I had more of a boil-off than anticipated (maybe boiled too hard?) and my FG was 1.010.

We bottled last week and I snuck one over the weekend and it tastes great - can't wait until the next one.

p.s. I also incorporated the no-chill method with this batch and loved it!
Do you have the exact link to the calculator. I can't find it on the biagbrewer.info site.

I say it's better to be over your OG than under

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #1203
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I say it's better to be over your OG than under
+1...but tell that to my imperial hefe!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #1204
molsonG
Recipes 

has anyone tried adding rye to this for something a little different?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #1205
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Do you have the exact link to the calculator. I can't find it on the biagbrewer.info site.
This is the link to The Calculator, however you might need to 'register' on the website to access it...

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=189

From the Home page click on; The Master Guide of BIAB Brewing
from there, click on; The Calculator

I can also send it to you if you pm me your email (HBT doesn't accept .xls extensions for file attachments).

Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #1206
timbudtwo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have brewed this twice and both times the flavor has come out great, however, it has absolutely zero head. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #1207
52pickup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine has a VERY nice head to it, with good retention. Mine never cleared though. Was in primary for 3 weeks, then cold crashed, and it still looks like a wit.

Primary 1: Hurricane IPA
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BM's Centennial Blonde(round 2)
Falconers Flight Black IPA
Bottled: SAKE!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #1208
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone ever make this with strictly only cascade or centennial? What about S-05?

I have never made a 10 gal batch so this will be my first one. How would I go about splitting one packet of yeast to two fermenters?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #1209
mellogrfx
Recipes 

Actually I have used only cascade with this recipe...not bad. uh, seems like I just brewed this yesterday...this beer does mature quick. Also, about the yeast...It's been soooo long since I've had to buy yeast so if I remember correctly, it will say on the package to use one pack per 5 gallons. Or you could just use a cable-stretcher...those seems to work as yeast splitters too. SORRY, I had to do that.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #1210
gkal1964
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
Anyone ever make this with strictly only cascade or centennial? What about S-05?

I have never made a 10 gal batch so this will be my first one. How would I go about splitting one packet of yeast to two fermenters?
I've made this with US-05. It is a great yeast for this recipe. As a matter of fact I just may prefer it to the Notty. Also as for the 10 gallons, I just hydrate 2 packs and pitch them into 5 gals each. I brewed 20 gals of this and pitched 4 different yeasts. I am about a week away from sampling them I will update after tasting them.

Quick Reply