Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #1191
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Has anyone made this with Wyeast 1272? I have some on hand and am wondering if it would work well with this recipe. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #1192
ASantiago
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not to be another me too, but...

I want to add my voice to the growing chorus of satisfied people that have brewed this recipe. As I write this I'm enjoying the first glass of it, a 10-day in the bottle, nicely carbonated, malty AND crispy bit of, as someone else put it, "liquid sunshine".

I paired this recipe, which I followed pretty much to the "t", with soft water per the Water Chemistry Primer, having added to the recipe 4.3 oz of acidulated malt to lower the pH of the mash, plus the calcium chloride to the water (I adjusted all the water, mash + sparge). Soft water definitely works for this beer.

Also, I temp controlled it from pitching through bottling, including a cold crashing.

Thanks BM for posting the recipe and BM and everyone else for all the comments, etc. Very helpful. I was concerned I had selected a "too naked" beer for my first AG adventure, but it worked out quite well, far beyond my expectations.

Fermenting: Janet's Brown Ale-ish
Conditioning: Simcoe-Centennial IPA in Oak Barrel
Enjoying: Witbier, Simcoe-Centennial IPA

Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 AM   #1193
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

just got done with my first AG batch (BIAB method) (7th total batch) and figured this would be the perfect recipe for 1st AG attempt

i upped the 2 row and vienna a little and adjusted the hops accordingly expecting lower efficiency but ended up hitting 1.047 with 5.4 gallons in the bucket - which beer smith shows as 70% efficiency

the mash was reading at 149+° most of the 75min mash but after i removed the grain sections of the runnings were reading 154ish - i had mashed inside the oven and am thinking it may have heated up the bottom of the pot when it kicked on towards the end of the mash - i guess i'll see how much it affected the body when its done

really excited to see how this comes out - thanks for sharing the recipe

Old 04-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #1194
primer
Recipes 

this thread is massive, anyone have recommended priming sugar amounts for 5.5 gal? (WLP005 yeast used here, its what i had on hand). thanks for the awesome recipe!!

PRIMARY 1: 3RDs Pale Ale
PRIMARY 2: Hocus Pocus
PRIMARY 3: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde
BOTTLE: 3RDs Explosive IPA. BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer. High Sierra Pale Ale. African Amber. 3RDs Hefe-weizen 2.0.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #1195
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
this thread is massive, anyone have recommended priming sugar amounts for 5.5 gal? (WLP005 yeast used here, its what i had on hand). thanks for the awesome recipe!!
I added 2/3 c table sugar to 2 c boiled water.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #1196
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The photo makes this more amber than it is in real life, but it sure is a purdy glass of beer

centennial.jpg

-Joe

Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #1197
Goattruck
Recipes 

I brewed this today and just got it buttoned up and pitched with 05. I'm wondering if LHBS might have given me something other than crystal 10, it looks BROWN. Nothing even resembling a blonde. I should have watched them pull the grain. Anyway, should be tasty even if it's brown.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #1198
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What type of modifications should I make to the 5 gallon recipe if I were to use the Brew In A Bag method? Would the grain bill stay the same?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #1199
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow!

Brewed a slightly modified recipe (subbed Weyermann Munich for Vienna) on April 4th, it's kegged, carbed and tasted fantastic as of the 17th, used US-05 in lieu of Nottingham.

Very impressed with the turnaround time on this beer, ended up so crazy busy with work that I let the pipeline sit too long and was down to 2 gallons of drinkable beer, and nothing fermenting. So I brewed up a batch, was shocked how drinkable this is under 2 weeks.

Will definitely brew again

Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #1200
HappyHeadBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Just finished kegging 10 gallons of this...
Where did you get that fermenting vessel?!?! 10 gal, eh? I want it!!

Keg 1: Smiling Sky Summer Pale Ale
Keg 2: Laughing Hyena Amber Ale
Primary 1: Smiling Sky Summer Pale Ale (it's good!)
Primary 2: Ahimsa Amber Ale
On Deck 1: Hop(e)fulness IPA
On Deck 2: Irish Red Ale

Quick Reply