Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #1031
M3Shark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkal1964 View Post
Are you looking at the beer through your carboy or fermenter? Your beer will look a lot darker and even a different hue when viewing through your carboy. Look at your beer when you take a hydrometer reading, this is the true color of the beer.
Thats probably it. I have been looking through the carboy at it. It has only been fermenting for a couple of days, so I have not take a hydrometer reading yet.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #1032
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Never judge a beer's color until it's in your glass. I've had IPA's that looked like Amber's in the carboy, and they are super light in the glass.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #1033
djr76
Recipes 

So I brewed this as my first partial mash tonight. My recipe is as follows

4 lbs 2-row
.5 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Vienna
1.75 lbs Light DME (ended up using closer to 2.5 lbs because my efficiency was low.

Followed the same hop schedule

Does this look like it would be pretty close to the all grain recipe? Played around on pro mash at the LHBS till it was close enough to all the original specs.

Being my first P.M. I kind of had a hunch that my efficiency was going to be pretty low so I added extra DME to the boil. Sure glad I did because when all was said and done my OG was 1.041 with a anticipated of 1.043 Can't wait to have this on tap on my new keezer I'm building this week. Just in time for the super bowl!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #1034
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
So I brewed this as my first partial mash tonight.
I'm looking to do the same, (however a tad bit different with the ingredients)
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Everything else was the same...anyway, can I ask you a couple of questions?
  • how much water did you steep grains in,
  • at what temperature and
  • for how long.
  • did you use additional water to rinse the grains? if yes, how much?

I've done other partials (kits or recipes) and everyone has been different. Not sure how to figure out the details on my own yet...

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #1035
djr76
Recipes 

I used 1.25 qt of water/lb of grain so it ended up being 8.25 quarts of water at 152 (or tried at least) degrees F for 60 minutes. I noticed that it was definitely warmer at the bottom the pot than the top so I tended to take my thermometer readings from the bottom. To rinse the grains I heated a second pot of water to 180. To rinse I took the grain bag out and put in a strainer http://www.homebrewers.com/product/T...-Strainer.html and used a cup to rinsed Verrrry slow till I had as much wort as my pot could handle after adding the DME. And like I said I totally guessed and added more DME than my recipe called for figuring my efficiency would suck. I just got lucky I guess.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #1036
ruk
Recipes 

Here is my very first AG. I had to brew this after reading so many positive comments.

My starting gravity was spot on @ 1.041, FG on the other hand is 1.004. I was afraid it would keep going down is i quickly racked it to secondary w/ gelatin. I left it outside in the cold for 12 hours then afraid it might freeze, put it back inside @ ambient of 60 F. Four days later, i racked to keg and force carb. 15 psi while rolling keg on floor until no more co2 is absorbed in solution.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #1037
fartiste
Recipes 

Noob here. I'm going to try the extract version of this recipe this weekend. My pot isn't big enough to do the full 6.5 gallons boil. Would a partial boil (say 3.5 gallons) make much of a difference?

"My favorite beer? The one in front of me." -Dad

Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #1038
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have all the ingredients to brew this one up this weekend... Between this and EdWorts HPA I brewed last weekend (as well as 5G of a columbus IPA that's two weeks into ferment), these fast fermenting APAs will be a nice 20G kick start for the pipeline (25G with the IPA)!

Then it's on to a STONE IPA clone!...

Yeah Baby!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #1039
Hawaiianbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Any thoughts on aging this brew. I saw this as a quick turnaround beer but i've been working on 5 of the 10 gals and starting to think about the other 5 just chill'in (ha) in the secondary for the last month or so. It looks super clear and very tasty but im thinking it may be in there for a bit longer. Will this get better with age or better to drink em young?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #1040
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiianbrewer View Post
Any thoughts on aging this brew. I saw this as a quick turnaround beer but i've been working on 5 of the 10 gals and starting to think about the other 5 just chill'in (ha) in the secondary for the last month or so. It looks super clear and very tasty but im thinking it may be in there for a bit longer. Will this get better with age or better to drink em young?
Some aging does not hurt this beer. There is not an abundance of hop aroma to worry about, and the Centennial hops will mellow with some time. Aging this beer is just going to have a lagering (cleaning) effect.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply