Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #81
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I have run into a problem with mine...

I cannot get it on the tap soon enough! I have the Oktoberfest that will not run dry, and it is impeding my ability to get this keg on tap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #82
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

haha...thanks guys, glad you like it!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #83
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
Just threw a 12 pack of CasCitrus into the beer fridge before I left for work. I ran out of Jubelale last night, and thought that was a great reason not to buy anything tonight. It turned out so well with the bitter orange this time, that Im thinking of doing a batch with both bitter and sweet, and seeing what comes of it. Mmmmm just the thought.....
A good day to yas.....

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #84
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

The only alterations I made were the addition of amarillos and I used WLP051. Basically, 50% Cascades and 50% Amarillos. Dropped into the fermentor today!

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #85
blacklab

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
Ahoy hoy,
Just threw a 12 pack of CasCitrus into the beer fridge before I left for work. I ran out of Jubelale last night, and thought that was a great reason not to buy anything tonight. It turned out so well with the bitter orange this time, that Im thinking of doing a batch with both bitter and sweet, and seeing what comes of it. Mmmmm just the thought.....
A good day to yas.....
You guys get Juble up there? Awesome! Glad to hear that Deschutes is spreading further and further out there.

I'm out of this beer right now so you're making me jealous...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #86
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
You guys get Juble up there? Awesome! Glad to hear that Deschutes is spreading further and further out there.
I just wish I could get some Black Butte XX down here

I am thinking of doing a Black Butte Clone soon, but dumping it on some raspberries in the secondary, but I had a Fullers London porter and reminded me how good those are. Anyways, there are just too many beers out there, but that is a good thing.
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #87
blacklab

Recipes 

The XX is very, very nice, but you can't drink too much of it. It's a sipper. They'll only give you a short glass at the brewery here in PDX.

Do you have a good Black Butte clone? PM me with it!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #88
clarkrw3
Recipes 

I am going to try this one this weekend...My LHBS didn't have everything so I had to sub 2-row Pale for the Maris. Anyone know how this will change the outcome? Also the Cascade Hops they had was 8.4%, do you have any suggestions on how I should change things taking this into account?

Thanks
Looking forward to this one!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #89
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
I am going to try this one this weekend...My LHBS didn't have everything so I had to sub 2-row Pale for the Maris. Anyone know how this will change the outcome? Also the Cascade Hops they had was 8.4%, do you have any suggestions on how I should change things taking this into account?

Thanks
Looking forward to this one!!
I couldn't get Maris Otter at the time I did this brew and used Rahr 2-row, it is still a great beer.

As far as the hops, if you want to stick with the same IBUs I wouldn't definately change your bittering hop amount for the FWH addition. You can use John Palmers calculations to figure out how much you need. How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

The recipe calls for 1oz of 5.5% at the beggining

This would be 1 x 5.5 or 5.5 AAUs

So if you have 8.4%, you would only need .65oz to get the same bittering amount for the 1st addition.

The other additions are late in the boil and for aroma and don't impart too much bittering, but you could lower those a little too if you wanted.
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #90
clarkrw3
Recipes 

Sounds great! Thanks for the replay and thanks for the great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I couldn't get Maris Otter at the time I did this brew and used Rahr 2-row, it is still a great beer.

As far as the hops, if you want to stick with the same IBUs I wouldn't definately change your bittering hop amount for the FWH addition. You can use John Palmers calculations to figure out how much you need. How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

The recipe calls for 1oz of 5.5% at the beggining

This would be 1 x 5.5 or 5.5 AAUs

So if you have 8.4%, you would only need .65oz to get the same bittering amount for the 1st addition.

The other additions are late in the boil and for aroma and don't impart too much bittering, but you could lower those a little too if you wanted.

Quick Reply