Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #651
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Forgot I brewed this about 6 weeks ago and just kegged my 10 gallons. Taste is great for being flat and warm, though the orange flavor is very very light. I followed the recipe directly. Next time I may consider adding some orange to secondary.
Wow, this is a great pale ale as it stands. Like I said earlier, the orange isn't really there but only noticeable in the back of your nose. I am thinking this just became my new house pale ale minus the orange. I'll probably add more orange for the summertime but remove it for all other times. Great job with this one, exactly what I was looking for in a pale ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #652
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Going to brew up another 5 gallons of this this weekend. We went through the last 10 gallons super fast and want this around for the beginning of the summer.

I am going to add another ounce of sweet orange peel this time to get a little more orange flavor out of it. I'll report back with the differences.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #653
blacklab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Going to brew up another 5 gallons of this this weekend. We went through the last 10 gallons super fast and want this around for the beginning of the summer.

I am going to add another ounce of sweet orange peel this time to get a little more orange flavor out of it. I'll report back with the differences.
Cool man. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #654
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:

Ended up brewing today. Ended at 1.058 and the fermenter is sitting in my chamber at 62 degrees. I wussed out and only added an extra half ounce of orange peel to it. Do you think I can dry hop the other 1/2 ounce if there isn't enough orange for my liking or will it just be a waste?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #655
smmurph
Recipes 

Made a beer inspired by this today. Used centennial instead of cascade. Also pitched 05 instead of 04. Smelled great. Hydro sample tasted like it has a lot of potential. This was only my second all grain recipe. I ended up with an OG of 1.052. Not great efficiency but I had a new pot and new tun to work with so I'm not gonna be too disappointed. No matter what, in a few weeks I'll have beer. Couldn't smell the orange at all but the coriander smelled nice with the centennial hops. Thanks for the inspiration. I probably should have made it to the recipe to begin with and then tweaked but I'm hard headed.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #656
smmurph
Recipes 

Almost ready to bottle. I got the FG down to 1.010 from 1.052. Mashed 150-152 with a few drops to 148, so that's about right I guess. Ran into some issues with diacetyl but I've gotten rid of almost all of that by putting a space heater in my fermenting closet set to 75 for the last three days. With the ounce of coriander plus the diacetyl it made for some funky popcorn flavors. I couldn't even taste the three ounces of centennial I put in. But now that the diacetyl is fading the hops are getting more prominent and it's shaping up to be a good beer. I may even drink a few before I move across the country in three weeks.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #657
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Has anybody had luck with this as a Saison / Belgian Pale? Noticed a bunch of comments throughout, but wasn't able to find the outcome.

I'm planning on sticking with the recipe almost as-is (plus I have a pound of cascade in my freezer), except wanted to sub a farmhouse/saison yeast that can safely ferment in my 74* ambient apartment.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #658
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ
Has anybody had luck with this as a Saison / Belgian Pale? Noticed a bunch of comments throughout, but wasn't able to find the outcome.

I'm planning on sticking with the recipe almost as-is (plus I have a pound of cascade in my freezer), except wanted to sub a farmhouse/saison yeast that can safely ferment in my 74* ambient apartment.
I never bothered in the end. Turned out fine as the recipe stands anyways.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #659
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Ended up brewing today. Ended at 1.058 and the fermenter is sitting in my chamber at 62 degrees. I wussed out and only added an extra half ounce of orange peel to it. Do you think I can dry hop the other 1/2 ounce if there isn't enough orange for my liking or will it just be a waste?
Just started drinking this, the extra half ounce of orange is noticeable and helped out a little bit. Next time I will add the full ounce extra or maybe boil it for an extra 5 minutes to try to extract a little more orange from it.

If I end up making this in the fall time, i do think i may just leave out the orange and coriander as I think the base Pale Ale is so darn good as it sits!!

Just want to thank the OP again for this recipe as it was exactly what I was looking for in a pale ale and I have brewed up about 5 until i found this one. My search is over! Now on to finding the perfect Oatmeal Stout!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #660
cletushomebrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

This beer looks awesome, maybe similar to Elysian's loser pale ale or their Blood Orange....regardless, gotta be brewed. thanks OP

Quick Reply