Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #611
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
GOt my supplies from my LHBS today. They looked at me funny when I asked for 12 oz of cascade. They asked if I was making a super hoppy IPA. Just making 10 gallons of a pale ale Can't wait to brew this on sunday. Got the sweet orange peel and coriander from them....yum
I usually buy Cascades by the pound so I always have a stock of them in the deep freezer. Pretty much a staple hop for all of my APA's and IPA's so I use them up pretty fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #612
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post

I usually buy Cascades by the pound so I always have a stock of them in the deep freezer. Pretty much a staple hop for all of my APA's and IPA's so I use them up pretty fast.
Yeah, I was going to do that but with the shipping it ended up being the same as my lhbs. I guess if I ordered a bunch of other stuff it should have been worth it.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #613
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just tasted a sample after 2 weeks of fermentation. The orange flavor is there, just very light. I may dry hop some orange peel in there. Also, mine finished at 1.010 with s04 and tastes a little thin. I mashed at 156 and it dropped to about 154 after an hour so I was expecting 1.013 or higher. Still tasted good and I bet will be even better after the dry hop!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #614
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I have done the original recipe with great success but also used the grain bill in a belma and cascade pale ale and love it.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #615
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed this last saturday as my first all grain attempt. I did 2.5 gallons. My original gravity was about 1.056. A little higher than expected, but better than too low i guess. Cant wait to try. I wont be racking to secondary. Thank you blacklab for sharing

Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #616
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm still pretty new to brewing, but have had success so far. i plan on doing this brew on saturday and was wondering if fresh orange peel would be ok?
i would also like to add a couple ounces to the secondary with the dry hop. would this work ok? impart some orange aroma to mix with the cascades garpfruit?
thanks a million for sharing the recipe way back when!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #617
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey View Post
I'm still pretty new to brewing, but have had success so far. i plan on doing this brew on saturday and was wondering if fresh orange peel would be ok?
i would also like to add a couple ounces to the secondary with the dry hop. would this work ok? impart some orange aroma to mix with the cascades garpfruit?
thanks a million for sharing the recipe way back when!
Fresh Orange Peel is fine. I just finished making mine with that, and it turned out nice, not as much orange as I was expecting though...

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #618
BrewPilot74
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I did this recipe with orange zest from a few naval oranges and it turned out great, but I'd be careful if using whole orange peels because the white part can be extremely bitter, in a bad way. I've heard of people using those small oranges, clementines I think they're called, because they have very little white part but I've never tried it myself.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #619
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewPilot74 View Post
I did this recipe with orange zest from a few naval oranges and it turned out great, but I'd be careful if using whole orange peels because the white part can be extremely bitter, in a bad way. I've heard of people using those small oranges, clementines I think they're called, because they have very little white part but I've never tried it myself.
thanks for that advice and what would you recommend i use to peel these rinds off the orange while avoiding the white part?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #620
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey View Post
thanks for that advice and what would you recommend i use to peel these rinds off the orange while avoiding the white part?
This sort of thing works the best but you can also use a classic box grater. Just avoid the white pith.

4-5 oranges will give you about 2 oz.

Quick Reply