Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #561
Dilligaf76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone thought about adding some vanilla to this beer? Seems like it would go well with the coriander.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #562
tw0st3p
Recipes 

Default Hops

I ordered all the ingredients for this and plan on brewing it this weekend, however NB sent me crystal hops instead of cascade. I am not familiar with crystal...

Will these work or should I just hold off until I get the cascades?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #563
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGadvocate View Post
I did a beer view to this recipe on youtube. I followed the recipe exactly. What an awesome brew!!

http://youtu.be/k2ia2faRnTQ
Aaron Rodgers likes my recipe, I am very honored. Thanks Aaron Rodgers, glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0st3p View Post
I ordered all the ingredients for this and plan on brewing it this weekend, however NB sent me crystal hops instead of cascade. I am not familiar with crystal...

Will these work or should I just hold off until I get the cascades?
Although it starts with a C, I believe that crystal offers more of a spicy aroma that the citrus/grapefruit of the traditional Cascade. So it will be a different beer. Shame on NB.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #564
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf76 View Post
Has anyone thought about adding some vanilla to this beer? Seems like it would go well with the coriander.
I don't see vanilla going well with this recipe at all. But, you never know....give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #565
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf76 View Post
If you want vanilla, just make this

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/vani...eam-ale-23680/

Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #566
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Damn you!

Added to brew-list.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #567
ametamorphosis
Recipes 

Hi!

Thanks for this recipe, I just got done brewing a variant of it as my first AG brew!

I substituted 2 row for the Maris Otter and since LHBS didn't have any Cascades I substituted Galena. I'm sure the end result will be a little different, but I'm just glad I hit all my numbers and had a great brew day!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #568
tw0st3p
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe this weekend and was excited to give it a go. I hit all my target temp's and volumes and aerated the wort for about 60 seconds with oxygen and then pitched one packet of safale s-04 at about 70 degrees. I set it aside to ferment and saw no activity after 24 hours. The fermenter temp was about 72-74 so I moved it to a cooler spot and got it down to about 68-70 degrees. Another 24 hours later and still not a bit of activity.

Should I re-pitch another packet? I am not familiar with dry yeast as much as liquid. Also the yeast sat for about 2-3 weeks in my kegerator at around 40 degrees if that matters.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #569
dadnboys
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have wanted to brew this recipe for some time. I had planned 2 other recipes ahead of it, however. My brew buddy said he was making a barley wine with all Maris Otter base malt and I could use the second runnings! Bought the other ingredients for the Orange Pale Ale and I was on my way! I did a mini mash with 4 lbs Maris Otter and the specialy grains, decanted the tea to my brew pot, dumped the grains atop his sparged grain bed and sparged some more. At 6.5 gal collected in brew pot, the SG (adjusted for temp) was 1.057) almost dead on. The only recipe changes were-I used fresh Cascade hops that I grew myself (10 min, 5 min) and subbed Citra for Cascade in the 1 min hop addition. I'll let you know how it tastes. My suggestion, however, if you're making a big 10 gal Maris Otter beer, this recipe lends itself to a great 2nd running 5 gal batch. You could possiblly steep the specialty grains like a PM recipe, although i did not. Thanks black lab! Ending SG litte high at 1.064

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #570
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Blacklab, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I had a few last weekend after three weeks in the bottle and was completely satisfied. This beer reminds me a little bit of Hazed and Infused: big hop flavor, but low enough ABV to have a few without having to call in sick the next day. Wonderful hop aroma and flavor. I think the orange peal and coriander add a nice level of complexity to this American Ale. Cheers!

I am not set up for PM at the time so I made these changes for extract:
-1 lbs Crystal 60L steep @152
-1 lbs Pilsen DME
-6 lbs Gold LME
-11oz table sugar (to dry out the extract a little more since I did not mash)

Hop schedule per original recipe

SG 1.056
FG 1.013

Quick Reply