Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #521
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Also - I don't believe that crystal/caramel malts have any impact on the head of a beer, but I could be wrong. Regarding the opacity of the beer - did you use whirlfloc or any other clarifiers? They help big time.
Crystal malts are often used to improve body and head retention. My only gripe about my first pass at this recipe was that the head retention was a bit on the poor side for my taste. I was thinking about making a slight modification by adding some carapils or upping the mash temp slightly (I mashed at 150F). Otherwise the beer is absolutely delicious....even given the fact that I actually used 2oz of coriander instead of the 1oz called for in your recipe.

Edit: Oh, and +1 on finings FTW. Whirfloc clears this beer beautifully.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #522
garae10
Recipes 

Quote:
I've been wanting to add honey to a beer for some time. Maybe this one next time around.
Did you add honey to this brew???
Thinking about adding 1lb of honey to the original recipe.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #523
garae10
Recipes 

Quote:
I've been wanting to add honey to a beer for some time. Maybe this one next time around.
Did you add honey to this brew???
Thinking about adding 1lb of honey to the original recipe.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #524
dobe12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 297

This is a fantastic beer! It's become a house beer and one I've brewed more often than any other. Having said that, I've tweaked the recipe quite a bit from the original for my own personal tastes. Hope the OP isn't offended. My version:

5 gallons:

SG 1.053
FG 1.010
Eff 73%
SRM 12
IBU 42
ABV 5.75

10lbs 8oz 2-Row
12oz Victory
8oz C120
8oz Carapils

Mash (BIAB):
4gal @ 150F for 60min
2.25gal @168F for 10min batch sparge
60min boil

1oz Cascade pellet FWH
1oz Cascade pellet 15min
1oz Cascade pellet 10min
1oz Cascade pellet 5min
1oz Cascade pellet 1min
2oz Cascade Leaf dry hop 14 days.

1tsp nutrient 10min
fresh zest from 3 medium sized organic oranges 5min

Wyeast American Ale II 1272 with 1L starter

Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #525
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am brewing this again tomorrow. I am making a few slight changes this time, though. Instead of 9 pounds of maris otter, I am going to use 8 pounds of two row and 1 pound of belgian biscuit malt. I am dropping the carmel malt and adding an extra pound of vienna. How does this sound?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #526
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninmules View Post
I am brewing this again tomorrow. I am making a few slight changes this time, though. Instead of 9 pounds of maris otter, I am going to use 8 pounds of two row and 1 pound of belgian biscuit malt. I am dropping the carmel malt and adding an extra pound of vienna. How does this sound?
Sounds good to me. That's the beauty of making your own beer, tweak something and see if you like it.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #527
Jtd6628
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Has any one in this thread tried using orange peel in secondary instead of boil? Why I ask is because I was going to brew this beer with out the orange and coriander in the boil then when I secondary siphon off a gallon to do just the orange to to make sure it is what I want before making 5 gallons of it. I can tell the base beer is defiantly something i want a whole lot of! Also I have read up on adding to the secondary so I know some use zest some use fresh or dried peel some soak in vodka some use peeled whole oranges. It is just this is my first adding anything to secondary besides hops and coffee so I would like to know a few preferences before I do it. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #528
swerner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

@ blacklab, I made this beer as my first partial mash ever. I hit all my target temperatures and was very happy with my result. I went with an additional 15 minutes on the boil because I started with 6.5 gallons pre-boil and I needed extra time to reach 5 gallons. I was able to adjust my final hop additions. My OG was 1.052 a little low but I'm not worried. 24 hours later and primary is going crazy. Thankfully I put a blow off tube because the Krausen would have been everywhere. Thanks for the recipe and all the tips and suggestions. I am definitely moving to AG for the next brew day.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #529
wilfonzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this and toasted 2# of the MO for 30 min @ 350f, came out a little darker than beersmith estimated. But looking real good.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #530
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts

This sounds really good. I am brewing a pale ale tomorrow and might zest a couple oranges.

Quick Reply