Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #241
Whut
It's hot here
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1626 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 8557

JMass, thanks for the info. I use buckets and there was lots of activity in the air locks prior to my putting them in the fermenter (read temp controlled chest freezer). Now I don't see anything in them but I know that's not a good indicator. My primary concern was it being to cold. So the temp range is the same as US05 - thanks for that. Looks like I'm good to go.

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #242
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutever View Post
JMass, thanks for the info. I use buckets and there was lots of activity in the air locks prior to my putting them in the fermenter (read temp controlled chest freezer). Now I don't see anything in them but I know that's not a good indicator. My primary concern was it being to cold. So the temp range is the same as US05 - thanks for that. Looks like I'm good to go.
Whutever, I checked a few more sites for Safale 04. According to MoreBeer
"Recommended temperature range: 64ºF-72ºF"
Homebrew Heaven: recommended temperature range of 68-74 deg F.
ibrew.com (looks like the official pamphlet): Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C – 24C, so that is 59F to 75F
I saw another site that had different temperatures, but in the same ballpark as the 1st 2 above. I assumed that this yeast would follow the characteristics of other ale yeast, but apparently it is more finnicky(?)

a 2002 comment from the Beeradvocate:
"My experience with this yeast is that any temp above 68 causes off flavors, yet under 64 and it will just drop out - difficult for most homebrewers to accomplish."

However, there is some confusion between ambient temps and internal beer temps, so I'm not sure what temperature they are talking about. A later response to a runaway Krausen says:

"If ambient temps are 66 the internal temp is probably 70-74, too high for this yeast, unless you use a water bath. Hence the runaway kreusen."

If there is absolutely no activity now, just take the specific gravity. Some responses I've read said that the yeast may ferment out in only a few days. If the SG is still too high, you may need to repitch the yeast.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #243
Whut
It's hot here
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1626 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 8557

Well, that is interesting. I brewed Saturday and put them in the chest freezer Monday am. When I had the buckets sitting in the house where the temp was 68° the temp strips read 76°/78° with lots of activity. But when I put them in the fermenator at 63° the air lock activity stopped. So coincidence? I guess I'll raise to 68° and go from there and start taking gravity readings. This is the first time I've used this yeast so I have no experience with it.

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Last edited by Whut; 12-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #244
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally kegged this tonight. It was chugging along in secondary, but only about one bubble ever 10 minutes or so. I want to get this going because my daughter is coming to visit tomorrow night. I added speiss (unfermented wort) to the keg as well as hops. It should be fine. The FSG was around 1.015.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #245
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One day after kegging I had to try it. It had a strong orange taste. My guess is that there was extra orange in the speiss I put in and it settled to the bottom. When I drank the FSG cylinder, it didn't taste so orangey. My batch may become less orangey as it goes along. Also I just dried hopped yesterday, so the balance will be changing, I'm sure as the days go on.

Thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #246
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just realized, I didn't first wort hop. I wasn't familiar with that procedure. I just read up on it tonite. Well, next time, I'll have to use the light crystal malt and FWH and see if it is different. I don't know if FWH is like Hopback beer, but I do like the taste of that.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #247
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMass View Post
I just realized, I didn't first wort hop. I wasn't familiar with that procedure. I just read up on it tonite. Well, next time, I'll have to use the light crystal malt and FWH and see if it is different. I don't know if FWH is like Hopback beer, but I do like the taste of that.
FWH is supposed to give a more 'mellow' bitterness than your typical 60 minute addition. There is much debate on the subject which I won't try to rehash here. I'd say experiment and see if you like the results. I do.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #248
iddqd
Recipes 

This sounds pretty cool. I'm planning on brewing a simple pale ale with some light DME, crystal malt, cascade and possibly some amarillo (depends on how much cascade I have in my freezer). Maybe I should add some orange zest and coriander and see how it turns out.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #249
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
This sounds pretty cool. I'm planning on brewing a simple pale ale with some light DME, crystal malt, cascade and possibly some amarillo (depends on how much cascade I have in my freezer). Maybe I should add some orange zest and coriander and see how it turns out.
I support this plan.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #250
bbone66
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Blacklab, just enjoying a great beer and getting ready for the game. Great recipe, great beer!

Where did time go?

Last edited by bbone66; 12-24-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: photo didn't show up

Quick Reply