Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #161
Flounder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this partial mash over the weekend. Made a few modifications but kept the overall spirit of the recipe intact. This was my first PM and I screwed up my mash temps and I think I only got 42% efficiency (see my thread in the AG/PM forum). Either way, I'm excited to see how this comes out. Thanks for the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #162
brewluver
Recipes 

I have brewed this recipe twice and love it, Has anyone done a 10 gallon batch on this. I have all my equipment to step up to 10 gallons now. I'm figuring that i would double everything( grains, Orange zest, coriander) but what about the hops can someone help me out? Do i just double the hops too? any help would be great.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #163
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewluver View Post
I have brewed this recipe twice and love it, Has anyone done a 10 gallon batch on this. I have all my equipment to step up to 10 gallons now. I'm figuring that i would double everything( grains, Orange zest, coriander) but what about the hops can someone help me out? Do i just double the hops too? any help would be great.
Yes... you pretty much double everything... you efficiency may play very little to the overall IBU... but it shouldn't matter... go for it.

Happy Brewing

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #164
BrutuS2K
Recipes 

Brewed this up on Saturday but couldn't locate any orange peels as the grocery stores were closed. Bad planning on my part.. I know. Should i zest some oranges and add to secondary or just forget about it? What's the best and most sanitary way to add orange to the secondary?

Cheers

Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #165
benbarts
Recipes 

Brewed this one up but with
10# 2-row
1#10L
1#vienna
.5 Ounce Corriander
2 ounces bitter orange peel
2 ounces Cascade @60
1 ounce Cascade @30
1 ounce Cascade@10

I wanted to do Maris Otter instead of 2-row, but my lhbs was out. Today was primary ferment day 3, and it died down a lot so I took a sample to check the gravity. Took a taste for the heck of it, and it didn't seem to orangy, and kind of grainy although the color was totally orange. I mashed at 155. I was planning on dry-hopping another ounce of Cascade, but I really want a distinct orange flavor so the wife and friends can drink it. So dump orange zest with the dry hop in secondary? I suppose one should dunk the orange in sanitizer before zesting? Any idea's on the grainy flavor? This has seemed to be a theme lately, and I admit that I use 2-row as the base for most of my brews, but this is only my 5th A.G. Perhaps my temps fall too much during my mash in my igloo tun, and gives a dry, grainy flavor?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #166
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this on Friday with my new equipment so I can do 5g AG. Everyone recommended a 10g MLT, now I know why. While stirring I had to be careful so I dont spill any grains all over the place. I didn't turn up my propane burner all the way so it took forever to boil so the wort is darker now. My sparge didnt go too well, I got my 6.5g of wort and took a gravity reading from the last bit in my MLT and it was .020. I didnt have enough of MO and didnt feel like opening a new sack so I substituted a pound of pils for MO. For hops I used centennial for the first 2 additions then cascades. My pre-boil gravity was .056 so this might be a stronger beer. I used my new conical and aerated with o2 and fermented out in 2 days with some serious activity. I'll dump a cup full this weekend and take a gravity reading then dry-hop the following week then rack to keg.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #167
Spec
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbarts View Post
but I really want a distinct orange flavor so the wife and friends can drink it. So dump orange zest with the dry hop in secondary?
That would give it some flavor but since you're not boiling the oils I'm thinking it'd give it a pretty bitter taste.

My last batch of this recipe (slightly altered as I had posted before) worked out perfectly. I was working on it for a brewing contest we had here at work and I was able to get the beer kegged and force carbonated with a day to spare (although it probably could have conditioned for another week.) The day of the contest I took the full keg to work and went home with it completely empty. :| The beer ended up winning the contest but it would have been nice to have more than a half pint of it. =]

Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #168
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made 10 gallons of this just kegged and tasted it. Seeming to lack the Corriander taste I dont know if I didn't crush it well enough or what.

For the Orange Peel I uses 4 ounces of freshly zested Navel Oranges. Its all I had on hand.

The Coriander I had ended up not being enough I wanted 2 ounces but only ended up putting 1.3 OZ because that was all there was in the package.

I added the Spices to my hop sock I'm doubting that had anything to do with it. I think next time i'm going to going the 2 ounces and buy pre-crushed coriander.

I'm thinking maybe I did not crush it well enough.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #169
littlebu
Recipes 

I want do this as my first AG, but know nothing about doing AG. I can only do a half batch. Could someone explain the process? Just like when you guys say mash does that mean literally or is that just the term for adding the grains? I know I'm a total newb

Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #170
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebu View Post
I want do this as my first AG, but know nothing about doing AG. I can only do a half batch. Could someone explain the process? Just like when you guys say mash does that mean literally or is that just the term for adding the grains? I know I'm a total newb
go to the section for newbies on all-grain

Quick Reply