Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #141
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, I just crushed the grains for this, and now I'm headed off for bottled water (at menards, I get 4 gallons for $6 in a large PET 'carboy' - so awesome of them to do that!). I am going with the Pol's sub of crystal 40L because I forgot the 10L at ordering time.....oh well. Pol has totally sold me on this with his enthusiasm. And, Black Lab, congrats on creating such a popular recipe. I can't wait!.....oh, and sometime soon I should be joining the ranks of the Oregonian brewers......we're likely moving to Corvalis sometime this year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #142
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice, I hope you like the beer, and Corvallis. It's a nice town.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #143
brewluver
Recipes 

I kegged my first batch of this recipe this weekend, It is great probably one of my favorite beers i have made. I think i am even going to take this keg to a Kentucky derby party to share with others.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #144
wwwdotcomdotnet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mmm, this is definitely the going to be my next brew this weekend! one question though: for an extract version of this, if i were to go all DME, should I use 3 lbs light DME and 3 lbs amber DME? also, i have coriander powder, so what would the equivalent of that be in teaspoons (ie 1 oz of coriander seeds crushed to teaspoons of already crushed from the store coriander)?

Drinking: Hard Cider, The Hindenbrew Rye IPA, Belgian Witty Witbier
On Deck: More Cider, Smoked Porter

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #145
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In beer tools pro, it looks like you can use 3 lbs Amber DME, 3 lbs Light DME, and steep the 1 lb of Vienna and 1 lb of 10L. That will get you to the approximate OG of the all grain recipe. I haven't brewed extract in ages so I'm not sure about the color/flavor contribution of the Amber stuff. My only advice in that arena would be to add most of your extract late in the boil to avoid caramelization. Not a clue on the spice aspect, I've always crushed my own fresh.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #146
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just tasted a sample at 5 days dry-hop and it was excellent. I didn't have enough cascades (forgot to order the dry-hop amounts), so I mixed a touch of (18.5 IBU) Summit at each step, while keeping the IBU's in line with your original. Summit, even though it can be a bittering monster, is supposed to add a nice complexity to 'c' hop schedules, so that's why I went with it - I've done the centennial/cascade thing already. Anyhow, this sure is coming along tasty!....I'll be bottling it early next week, gonna be hard to wait it out for the carbonation.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #147
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwdotcomdotnet View Post
mmm, this is definitely the going to be my next brew this weekend! one question though: for an extract version of this, if i were to go all DME, should I use 3 lbs light DME and 3 lbs amber DME? also, i have coriander powder, so what would the equivalent of that be in teaspoons (ie 1 oz of coriander seeds crushed to teaspoons of already crushed from the store coriander)?
SInce you're just subbing the DME for the Maris Otter, I'd go either all Light DME or use no more than 1 lb of Amber. Maris Otter is a base malt that is basically a tastier, slightly maltier equivalent of 2-row......the color of this beer comes more from the steeping grains than anything.....

Williams Brewing sells Maris otter extract, just FYI in case you feel like being more accurate with this recipe.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #148
wwwdotcomdotnet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll likely do three lbs each of light and amber DME. I'm not looking to replicate this recipe perfectly, just to make a tasty, refreshing, and easy drinking summer beer.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #149
wwwdotcomdotnet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this up this weekend. I zested three large naval oranges and crushed in an ounce of coriander seed. I strained the wort before primary, but maybe I could have let the zest and coriander go in there with the wort?

Also, are two zested oranges really enough for a mild orange taste in this recipe? Would anyone recommend adding the zest of a third orange when I dry hop in a few weeks?

Last edited by wwwdotcomdotnet; 05-04-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #150
Spec
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwdotcomdotnet View Post
Brewed this up this weekend. I zested three large naval oranges and crushed in an ounce of coriander seed. I strained the wort before primary, but maybe I could have let the zest and coriander go in there with the wort?

Also, are two zested oranges really enough for a mild orange taste in this recipe? Would anyone recommend adding the zest of a third orange when I dry hop in a few weeks?
Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm still pretty new but I've been experimenting a lot with this recipe over the past couple months and I've found that zesting 4 oranges (3oz more or less) and putting it in with about 5 min. left in the boil (outside my hop bag so it floats around) has given me the best results. I thought about "dry hopping" (dry oranging?) with some zest when I racked it but opted against it as I think it'd bring too much orange to the party.

Quick Reply