Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #131
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Being View Post
I just purchased a 8 gallon pot so I can start to do some stovetop all-grain batches, and I'm going to give this beer a whirl (hopefully this weekend.) I may sub in Amarillo for Cascade though, becuase I've been wanting to try making an Amarillo pale, and Amarillo is cheaper than Cascades at my lhbs at the moment (I'll be stopping by tonight to see what they actually have in stock though.) I may drop the orange too to let the hops shine more, and I'll probably have to reduce the hopping in the boil a bit to keep it out of IPA land...ok, so I guess I'll be doing a brew inspired by this one
Uhh..... I don't think it is going to be the same beer with the changes, actually no where near the same beer, but if you just looking to mix it up, that is cool too.

You guys are making me jealous with the pics here. I think my next batch of this will be my first 10 gallon batch as this stuff is just too good to have run out so quickly. Maybe make a little lighter of a version for when summer rolls around and I need to drink while I swim.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #132
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep you are right, it won't be the same beer, but it's inspired by it. I can never seem to follow a recipe anyways- I always want to forge off on my own I was going to do this one exact, but I've been wanting to do an Amarillo pale for a while too, so I just merged the two ideas.

Anyways, I got the malt, coriander, and 5 oz of Amarillo last night and will be brewing this weekend. The Amarillo is 6.8% I think, so I'm going to scale back the 1oz 60 minute boil addition a bit (probably .75oz), do 1 oz at 10, and put about 1.25 oz just before flameout. I'm keeping the idea of 2oz dry-hopping. I know that's 1 less oz than the original recipe, but that should be plenty hoppy for me

I noticed that I have a few oranges in my fridge, so I may put some fresh zest in too...so the beer will be similar, but not exactly the same.

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Last edited by Chaos_Being; 02-27-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #133
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just kegged this beer. Already its the non greenest tasting beer Iv made to date. I'm having a glass and you can taste the orange in the back round. Especially when I burp. Its really bitter but in a good way.

Cant wait till she chills down and carbonates. A couple more weeks ageing and whoa.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #134
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This beer has grown in the keg. Its now at its perfection. Every one loves it. I served it at are Saint Patrick's day dinner. Every one loved it...... even the non alcohol drinkers. One buddy of mine said it could pass for his favorite IPA.

The keg is about to kick and I'm bumming. I dont usually make good beer, but this one is. It needs 1 month in the keg however to get really really good.

This beer didnt have much off flavor to bigin with, but there were a few. There all gone. I pore a pint and the aroma of hops and orange come blazing out of the glass. Its nicely carbonated with a good malty taste and bitter Delicious finish.

I need to step up to 20 gallon batches, lol

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:

Last edited by Jolly McStanson; 03-17-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #135
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

sigh...if only it actually just would grow in the keg.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #136
Spec
Recipes 

Ok so after a couple runs at this (being my first all grain) I'm having middling success. A lot of this I think just comes from learning the ropes, along with your equipment on top of everything else that goes in to brewing. That all being said after futzing with BeerSmith I've had to make some tweaks to this recipe to make it come out with similar FG and color as this one. Could you guys take a look at this and tell me if I'm either way off base or going to be heading into 'a totally different beer' territory.

http://i43.tinypic.com/30x7o7r.jpg

A few specifics given the changes here.

- I somehow boil off A LOT of water. Last go around I sparged up to 7 gallons and after cooling ended up with 4.5 in the carboy. I think some of this was due to the hops sucking up a lot of liquid along with cooling taking a bit longer (chiller only, no ice underneath).

- Entering in the ingredients in the original recipe into Brewsmith left me with a slightly lower OG, FG, and color. Does anyone know why? Because of this I had the recipe adjusted to what you see here which requires almost two lbs more malts.

- In conjunction with the extra malt we're going to mash a little higher 154, would these two together result in super extra maltiness?

- I was a little underwhelmed with the orange aroma (or lack thereof) when I racked the beer so I think this time we're going to go with fresh orange peel in the boil and half the dry hops with an oz of peel. Any thoughts on the outcome of this?

Sorry for the massive wall of questions. Like I said before, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a lot of this.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #137
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
- I somehow boil off A LOT of water. Last go around I sparged up to 7 gallons and after cooling ended up with 4.5 in the carboy. I think some of this was due to the hops sucking up a lot of liquid along with cooling taking a bit longer (chiller only, no ice underneath).
There are a lot of factors at work here. I generally boil 1.25-1.5 gallons off in an hour. Variables are air temp, vigor of boil, your altitude, and more I'm sure.

Quote:
- Entering in the ingredients in the original recipe into Brewsmith left me with a slightly lower OG, FG, and color. Does anyone know why? Because of this I had the recipe adjusted to what you see here which requires almost two lbs more malts.
The OG and FG are related to the efficiency you have in the system, which is 68%. Comparing your actual FG to the % and altering it in Beersmith will allow you to dial in your system for your actual percentage obtained. The color on this beer varies across the various brew software packages, for me, even between Beer Tools Pro releases.

Quote:
- In conjunction with the extra malt we're going to mash a little higher 154, would these two together result in super extra maltiness?
I don't think there will be an appreciable difference in the 150-154 range. As you move from higher mash temps between 148 to 158 (roughly), the level of unfermentables contributed to the wort will rise, which will increase your perceived maltiness. Super extra malty will probably not occur with a mash temp 2 degrees higher than last time.

Quote:
- I was a little underwhelmed with the orange aroma (or lack thereof) when I racked the beer so I think this time we're going to go with fresh orange peel in the boil and half the dry hops with an oz of peel. Any thoughts on the outcome of this?
If you want more orang-ish aroma, I would add another ounce a bit later in the boil, perhaps at 5 mins or even flameout. Others have told me that fresh grated peel gives more aroma. The actual orange flavor is always going to be low in the mix, because any sugars contributed will be eaten by the yeast. The orange you are obtaining is really from the oils in the peel, which are volatized by boiling, and quickly boil away. This is why the addition is late in the boil.

Quote:
Sorry for the massive wall of questions. Like I said before, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a lot of this.
NP - Looks like you're doing fine! Hope you enjoy your first batch.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #138
Spec
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply blacklab. I went ahead and brewed yesterday and I'm feeling pretty good about this one. My efficiency looks like it came out ok and I hit my target gravity. So far so good. The one thing I completely forgot to do is toss in the Irish Moss towards the end of the boil. It's bubbling away right now so it's hard to tell but my gut is telling me the beer is going to be pretty cloudy. Live and learn I guess.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #139
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
I have 3 batches right now. One, I modded and am testing before I post on here, is sort of a super citrus version, one batch good ol original recipe, cepting i use 1 oz bitter and 1 oz sweet in the orange dept;
and the 3rd, the same as the second, except I took 2 pounds of the 2 row, and toasted it in the oven. We will see how this impacts the flavor. I just made a batch of that lake walk pale ale, and was so impressed at the smell of the toasted malt i made for that, that I thought it might fit in well with the rest of the flavors.
Ill post more when i see how they turn out....
A great day to all.

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #140