Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #41
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMushrm View Post
ok, i made the AG version of this last night. I didn't check my pre-boil gravity cause swmbo was rushing me along. Anyhow, I ended up w/ a final grav into fermenter at 1.070 !? I am not sure what happened here. (puts my effeciency over 100%) I may have put in the wrong amounts of grain, but i doubt it... I double check everything. The candi sugar turned out a bit lighter, but oh well. I made some beer. I will check back in and let u guys know how it turns out in a bit.
Whoa?! Broken hydrometer, maybe? I don't see how it could come out that high. Even if you made a whole 2 lb batch of candi syrup and added that, I don't think you could hit 1.070. You'll have to watch out for this one!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMushrm View Post
ok, i made the AG version of this last night. I didn't check my pre-boil gravity cause swmbo was rushing me along. Anyhow, I ended up w/ a final grav into fermenter at 1.070 !? I am not sure what happened here. (puts my effeciency over 100%) I may have put in the wrong amounts of grain, but i doubt it... I double check everything. The candi sugar turned out a bit lighter, but oh well. I made some beer. I will check back in and let u guys know how it turns out in a bit.
Was your final volume right... too much boil off maybe?
Did you take the hydro reading at the proper temp, spin it to loosen air bubbles, etc.?
Did you have too much homebrew during the event, and not realize the hydro sample wasn't enough to float... j/k

Regardless, I bet it turns out great!

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #43
MaliciousMushrm
Recipes 

final volume was 5 gallons.. dead on... I used irish moss for the first time and didn't let it settle enough after cooling before it went into the carboy... maybe all the trub made the hydrometer mess up. Hydro is fine... I spun it, it was pretty clsoe to 60 degrees. I dunno, but I will keep you updated. We are bubbling awa y right now.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #44
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeasties pitched. After the rave reviews the ESB received, I'm looking forward to spreading a bit of this one around in 8 weeks or so.

Brian I gotta say, you write some mean ad copy to promote your recipes. After reading the description of this one, I felt like making up a sign and marching up and down the street.

If I had it do do over again - and I probably will - I would make up the sugar syrup ahead of time. I almost ran out of time in the boil before it was ready. But everything worked out OK.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
sergio_69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, am I reading this correctly:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

Thirty days on the trub? then only 7 in the secondary, then how long in the bottle? at what temp do you suggest?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #46
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Yep, you were reading it correctly. Wait at least 3 weeks after bottling before you start really going at it. Once bottled, 65-70 degrees is a good temp to store it.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #47
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Good Stuff!

Well, it's been six weeks since I brewed this recipe. It went from primary to keg after 3 weeks (would've waited 4, but needed primary for another brew), and it's been on gas for 3 weeks (1 at 65, and 2 at serving temps). I had 2 or 3 of these over the weekend, and I really like the way it turned out. The caramelized sugar adds a nice faint prune taste that goes really well with Chinook's unique bitterness. I was afraid it might be too sweet for me, but it's not at all.

The thing that sold me on trying this recipe (other than the coolness factor of making the syrup) was the first pic posted in the tulip glass. I will say this is the prettiest beer I've brewed. The color came out just as advertised, and the lacing is nice and creamy. I'm anxious to serve it to some guests we're having over this Friday, and I think the wife's going to give me some huge props when she tries this.

Thanks King!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #48
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well, as with several of my other brews, after the initial gallon or so, the hop contribution is severely diminished. I served this to some company over the weekend and it got good reviews. They agreed it had a faint raisin note and was really smooth, but didn't get much in the way of hops. I agreed that the hop flavor was really hard to pick up, whereas only a week ago it was the perfect combo.

I posted this problem in another thread (for a pale ale) and the recommendation was made that I dry hop. That made just the difference I was looking for. I'm wondering if some Chinook dry hops would bring this one back, or if that's overkill for this style. I know it's not particularly a hop forward recipe, but I'd like to get some of it back. I've never dry hopped with Chinook, but I think others do. Any thoughts?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #49
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
Well, as with several of my other brews, after the initial gallon or so, the hop contribution is severely diminished. I served this to some company over the weekend and it got good reviews. They agreed it had a faint raisin note and was really smooth, but didn't get much in the way of hops. I agreed that the hop flavor was really hard to pick up, whereas only a week ago it was the perfect combo.

I posted this problem in another thread (for a pale ale) and the recommendation was made that I dry hop. That made just the difference I was looking for. I'm wondering if some Chinook dry hops would bring this one back, or if that's overkill for this style. I know it's not particularly a hop forward recipe, but I'd like to get some of it back. I've never dry hopped with Chinook, but I think others do. Any thoughts?
I think some chinook would be really good dry-hopped in this recipe. Give it a shot and let me know how it works!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #50
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
The thing that sold me on trying this recipe (other than the coolness factor of making the syrup) was the first pic posted in the tulip glass. I will say this is the prettiest beer I've brewed. The color came out just as advertised, and the lacing is nice and creamy.
Thanks King!

^^^ this
Can't say enough good things about it. Going to be a sad day when the keg runs dry. Guess that means I need to make more.

Quick Reply