Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #311
Thedagem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 43
Default


So I tried to use beersmith to make this into a 10 gal recipe. I just got the program and am not sure I did it right. So I've posted what I got below, Just wanted to see if it looks right to you.
1.25 Chinook at 60min
1.75 Chinook
2oz Willamette
2lbs of the candi sugar
2.6 oz crystal 80l
13.5 lbs of two row

Can't wait to brew this. Thanks for your help.

__________________
Thedagem is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #312
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,487
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedagem View Post
So I tried to use beersmith to make this into a 10 gal recipe. I just got the program and am not sure I did it right. So I've posted what I got below, Just wanted to see if it looks right to you.
1.25 Chinook at 60min
1.75 Chinook
2oz Willamette
2lbs of the candi sugar
2.6 oz crystal 80l
13.5 lbs of two row

Can't wait to brew this. Thanks for your help.
I'm guessing you mean 2.6 lbs of crystal 80, not 2.6 oz, right? Otherwise it looks close.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #313
Thedagem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 43
Default


HA, yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It wouldn't be quite 2 pounds of candi sugar either, the original recipe is for 5.5 gallons. So I'm guessing it would be more like 1 pound 13 oz or so. Anything else you noticed that I should change?

__________________
Thedagem is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #314
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,487
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedagem View Post
HA, yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It wouldn't be quite 2 pounds of candi sugar either, the original recipe is for 5.5 gallons. So I'm guessing it would be more like 1 pound 13 oz or so. Anything else you noticed that I should change?
I noticed the flameout addition ratio of chinook and willamette aren't 1:1 in your version. Shouldn't make a huge difference, though.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #315
Thedagem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 43
Default


Yeah, I don't know why, but beersmith never makes the recipe 1:1 when you double it from 5 to 10 gallons. Should I just forgo what the program says and just double everything?

__________________
Thedagem is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #316
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,487
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedagem View Post
Yeah, I don't know why, but beersmith never makes the recipe 1:1 when you double it from 5 to 10 gallons. Should I just forgo what the program says and just double everything?
Yeah, you'll probably come in over gravity and under bitter though. It's hard to say without knowing your methods. Do you aim for 10 gallons of finished beer, or 10 gallons in the fermenter, meaning that you really only have like 9 by the time it's ready to drink? If you aim for 10 gallons of finished beer, I'd say double the recipe and don't look back. The recipe is for 5.5 gallons so that I get about 5 gallons of beer in the keg.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #317
hodge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 113
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Just bottled my second attempt at this, first with temp controls. This has been in the bottle for a week after two weeks in primary and even though it seems impossibly early, it might be the best beer I've brewed so far.

Lots of caramel and fruit in the nose and a nice balance of hops and malt, finishes clean, and a great house beer.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to leave in the bottle for a little while longer.

__________________
hodge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #318
Lycan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashua
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Just made this over the weekend. I used 9 lbs of 2 row to up my numbers because I feel that my mash has a low efficiency. I ended up hitting 1.040 off the mash tun and 1.060 after cool down in the ferment bucket. The syrup was super easy to make. I have half a corny left of wee heavy and just filled my other with cream ale so this will have plenty of time to clear out.

__________________
Lycan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #319
BarronVonBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Crofton
Posts: 1
Default


I just opened up a bottle of this last night and it's the best beer I've ever brewed (only my 6th homebrew, so really it's not that much of an accolade, but still amazing). I upped the finishing hops, and increased the grain bill by a bit just to get a little bigger flavor and aroma and to also compensate for my inefficiency. King Brian, thank you!

__________________
BarronVonBrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #320
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,487
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BarronVonBrew View Post
I just opened up a bottle of this last night and it's the best beer I've ever brewed (only my 6th homebrew, so really it's not that much of an accolade, but still amazing). I upped the finishing hops, and increased the grain bill by a bit just to get a little bigger flavor and aroma and to also compensate for my inefficiency. King Brian, thank you!
You're quite welcome!
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amber DME and Amber liquid extract? SunDevilBrewer Extract Brewing 4 01-08-2010 01:39 PM
Recipes using Special B/caramel vienne/caramel munich? jwyse Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-07-2009 04:18 PM
caramel? Gildog Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-18-2009 03:57 PM
caramel flavor lehr Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-24-2009 04:42 PM
Caramel 60L Moonshae Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-08-2008 08:13 PM