Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just brewed a batch of this finally today. I hit your numbers dead on, ended up with a SG of 1.052. Beer smith was giving me all different numbers. I don't know if it had to do with how I inputed the Candi Syrup, but it said my SG should have been 1.045. All I did was copy the info fron the package of the candi syrup. How did you enter it?
Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #22
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
Well, I just finished brewing a batch of this today. I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast I had, but never saw much activity. I tasted the starter and couldn't decide if it tasted ok or not. It probably would have been fine, but I chickened out and used a pack of dry Nottingham. Hopefully it'll be close enough to the S05 in your recipe.

Anyway, I hit my numbers on the mark. Mash went from 152 to 151 over the course of an hour, and my OG was 1.050 just now when it went into my fermentation freezer. I've got high hopes for this baby! The syrup (290) really does have a nice raisin/prune taste to it. I'm hoping to be back to post my raving reviews in a few weeks.

Thanks for the recipe!
The notty should be fine. I sometimes detect a tartness from it but it seems most people don't. Either way it should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
Just brewed a batch of this finally today. I hit your numbers dead on, ended up with a SG of 1.052. Beer smith was giving me all different numbers. I don't know if it had to do with how I inputed the Candi Syrup, but it said my SG should have been 1.045. All I did was copy the info fron the package of the candi syrup. How did you enter it?
Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!
Glad it went well for you! I calculated the gravity addition of the candi syrup by entering it in as 1 lb of white sugar, since that is what I used to make it. The actual weight of the syrup would have been slightly more than 1 lb since it also includes some water, but it was easier to just use the white sugar numbers for calculations.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #23
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Glad it went well for you! I calculated the gravity addition of the candi syrup by entering it in as 1 lb of white sugar, since that is what I used to make it. The actual weight of the syrup would have been slightly more than 1 lb since it also includes some water, but it was easier to just use the white sugar numbers for calculations.
Oh, ok. I didn't realize you made your own candi syrup. Maybe I missed it in the thread. I just bought the amber syrup from brewmasters warehouse.
It wasn't listed in beer smith so I input it myself with the number from the package. The syrup tasted real good.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
Oh, ok. I didn't realize you made your own candi syrup. Maybe I missed it in the thread. I just bought the amber syrup from brewmasters warehouse.
It wasn't listed in beer smith so I input it myself with the number from the package. The syrup tasted real good.
Haha, it's right there in the recipe. The commercial stuff should be just as good, just a lot more $. When you taste the beer and it's the best thing you've ever had, and you decide to brew it again, you'll know for next time how to save some money on the batch.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #25
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Side Note

The syrup makes for a pretty mean cowboy pie too. Mixed with some crunchy peanut butter and liberally applied to toast. My grandmother used to make it for us with molasses and she called it cowboy pie. I had some Sunday morning for breakfast and it sure was yummy!

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is there an extract version of this?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieflyer View Post
is there an extract version of this?
Yeah, this recipe is actually really easy to do with extract. Just use 5.25 lbs of light LME or 4.2 lbs light DME in place of the pale malt. Then steep the crystal malt and add the syrup to the boil as usual.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #28
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this up about a month ago. Brew day went well hitting all my numbers. The only thing I had a problem with was the syrup. I followed the recipe but it never came out dark enough. It looked more like the 290 deg but oh well. It's still in the fermenter but getting ready to keg it this weekend. So far all I can say is wow. The hydro sample was great. Can't wait to be drinking this.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrog View Post
I brewed this up about a month ago. Brew day went well hitting all my numbers. The only thing I had a problem with was the syrup. I followed the recipe but it never came out dark enough. It looked more like the 290 deg but oh well. It's still in the fermenter but getting ready to keg it this weekend. So far all I can say is wow. The hydro sample was great. Can't wait to be drinking this.
That's good because I actually use the 290 degree syrup in this recipe but somehow screwed up and called it the mahogany in the recipe. I've corrected the recipe now but the 290 degree sugar is what should be used. I'm glad you liked the hydro sample, but just wait until you try the finished beer!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #30
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I just found this recipe and plan to make it with Sugar #5 tomorrow since I have a lot of it left over from a previous candi sugar making session. I will report back as to how it turns out.

Quick Reply