Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrewin View Post
this looks absolutely exquisite. a must brew for me..

EDIT: after reading the candi syrup thread and listening to the podcast posted, i was wondering why it was you chose to use the Mahogany?

it seems like the 290F candi has the most flavor complexity and is SnickaSaurusRex's choice for brewing...

do you think if i opted for the 290 instead of the 300 (for more flavor complexity), i would get a much lighter colored beer?
Damn, I never noticed I listed the wrong one until you mentioned that. I actually do use the 290 recipe and it is what I meant to write, I just called it the wrong thing above. I just adjusted the recipe above to reflect that it does actually use the dark amber (290). I apologize to anyone who brewed it using the 300 degree syrup, though it seems like it came out ok.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #12
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Damn, I never noticed I listed the wrong one until you mentioned that. I actually do use the 290 recipe and it is what I meant to write, I just called it the wrong thing above. I just adjusted the recipe above to reflect that it does actually use the dark amber (290). I apologize to anyone who brewed it using the 300 degree syrup, though it seems like it came out ok.
ah ok, that makes more sense.

well good, now i have the utmost confidence in this beer.

this will def be my next AG.

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
V1_VR_V2
Recipes 

Sounds real good. How did you do your aroma hop editions? Just by steeping them while the wort cools, or did you dry hop it?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1_VR_V2 View Post
Sounds real good. How did you do your aroma hop editions? Just by steeping them while the wort cools, or did you dry hop it?
They're added at flameout. No dry hopping for this recipe.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

whipping up the candi syrup right now, and im surprised at how easy it is.

i will be brewing this hopefully during the weekend.

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok, i believe this is going to be my first brew, so I was trying to input it into brewmate since my trial to beersmith expired, and I was wondering how i should input the candi syrup or if it does not have a real impact on the formula. Reason why I am trying to do this is so I can then use beersmith to convert it to a 2.5 gallon extract batch to start with.

is there info on the syrup that I can added to both programs ingredient database?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieflyer View Post
ok, i believe this is going to be my first brew, so I was trying to input it into brewmate since my trial to beersmith expired, and I was wondering how i should input the candi syrup or if it does not have a real impact on the formula. Reason why I am trying to do this is so I can then use beersmith to convert it to a 2.5 gallon extract batch to start with.

is there info on the syrup that I can added to both programs ingredient database?
I went with 40 SRM for the syrup which should be pretty close. I simplified it a bit in the recipe by saying 1 lb, even though it comes out to a bit over a pound due to the added water. To counter that, I gave it the same extract potential as 1 lb of white sugar, which is what it will contain, in addition to the small amount of water. So to summarize, call it 40 SRM and use the mass amount of sugar you use to make the sugar for caculations using the raw sugar's extract potential. Sorry if I made that more confusing than it should be.

jagg Likes This 
Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this yesterday, and really botched it. didnt boil down the wort to the proper volume. i got 6.5 gallons of 1.040 wort. =[

ill have to try this recipe again. hopefully my massacre of this is still a tasty beer...

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 08-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
KingBrianI
Recipes 

I'm sure it will turn out to be a good beer. Not as malty and a bit more bitter, but will probably make a great session ale!

I'm actually having a similar problem right now on the SNCA clone I'm brewing. I'm about to run out of propane so I'm running the burner lower than normal, and I don't think I'm going to boil off enough. Oh well!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Just brewed it today

Well, I just finished brewing a batch of this today. I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast I had, but never saw much activity. I tasted the starter and couldn't decide if it tasted ok or not. It probably would have been fine, but I chickened out and used a pack of dry Nottingham. Hopefully it'll be close enough to the S05 in your recipe.

Anyway, I hit my numbers on the mark. Mash went from 152 to 151 over the course of an hour, and my OG was 1.050 just now when it went into my fermentation freezer. I've got high hopes for this baby! The syrup (290) really does have a nice raisin/prune taste to it. I'm hoping to be back to post my raving reviews in a few weeks.

Thanks for the recipe!

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Quick Reply