Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #121
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,074
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


My only suggestion is to go one color below where you want to go, and then cool it off, since it will keep cooking a little bit.

__________________

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

DrawTap88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #122
jm195907
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Athens OH
Posts: 30
Default


haha well i just finished so I guess I'll have to wait and see. The color looks decent. Guess I won't know until I try the beer. Just another learning experience.

__________________
jm195907 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #123
CoalCracker
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CoalCracker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,595
Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think it would be good. More floral and less citrusy but probably very tasty.
Don't you have that reversed? I thought Centennial was more citrus?
__________________
CoalCracker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #124
jackers252
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 256
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
My only suggestion is to go one color below where you want to go, and then cool it off, since it will keep cooking a little bit.
Very good point, that is exactly what happened to mine.
__________________
jackers252 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #125
jm195907
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Athens OH
Posts: 30
Default


Yeah that is what I ended up doing. It came out a bit light, but it looks like somewhere between 280 and 290ish. I didn't even think to look at my thermometer until it was already getting to boil and then realized it doesn't go that high, so I just said whatever and winged it. I think the beer will be fine.

__________________
jm195907 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #126
jackers252
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 256
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jm195907 View Post
Yeah that is what I ended up doing. It came out a bit light, but it looks like somewhere between 280 and 290ish. I didn't even think to look at my thermometer until it was already getting to boil and then realized it doesn't go that high, so I just said whatever and winged it. I think the beer will be fine.
Trust me, you would have known if you went much above 290. I did that on my first batch and it came out thin and uber-better!
__________________
jackers252 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #127
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,490
Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Don't you have that reversed? I thought Centennial was more citrus?
I find centennial very floral with some citrus while chinook have a bigger citrus component to me with lots of herby and piney notes. Everyone tastes and smells something different though and I think the addition of centennial to this beer would be a fine substitution for the chinook.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #128
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,767
Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Hey King Brian: I have a comment, and a question.

Comment: This beer was very popular, and I will certainly be making it again. But the sugar, combined with the low mash temp, made for a very dry (1.008) finish to the fermentation. Not a problem, but it leads to my question:

Would there be any benefit to a slightly higher mash temp? Might bring out the "amber" a bit more. Have you tried that, or am I thinking all wrong about this?

Anyway, like I said, very popular. My sister-in-law couldn't keep her hands off the stuff. One in every crowd, I guess.

My sister, on the other hand, took one sip and exclaimed "Wow, that's bitter!" I guess there's one of those in every crowd too.

Cheers!

__________________

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

frazier is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #129
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,490
Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Hey King Brian: I have a comment, and a question.

Comment: This beer was very popular, and I will certainly be making it again. But the sugar, combined with the low mash temp, made for a very dry (1.008) finish to the fermentation. Not a problem, but it leads to my question:

Would there be any benefit to a slightly higher mash temp? Might bring out the "amber" a bit more. Have you tried that, or am I thinking all wrong about this?

Anyway, like I said, very popular. My sister-in-law couldn't keep her hands off the stuff. One in every crowd, I guess.

My sister, on the other hand, took one sip and exclaimed "Wow, that's bitter!" I guess there's one of those in every crowd too.

Cheers!
Mashing higher would definitely add more body and perhaps a little sweetness. If you up the crystal a bit you will get both body and sweetness. Or you could lessen the bittering charge slightly for more percieved sweetness. Or, of course, you could use a less attenuative yeast strain and that will give you sweetness and body too. As you can see, there are several ways to skin that cat. Just go with whatever feels right to you.
__________________

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

KingBrianI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #130
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,767
Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Just go with whatever feels right to you.
Well, I'll have to ponder the possibilities. One thing I won't be doing though, is reducing the hops. Those were great.

__________________

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

frazier is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amber DME and Amber liquid extract? SunDevilBrewer Extract Brewing 4 01-08-2010 02:39 PM
Recipes using Special B/caramel vienne/caramel munich? jwyse Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-07-2009 05:18 PM
caramel? Gildog Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-18-2009 04:57 PM
caramel flavor lehr Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-24-2009 05:42 PM
Caramel 60L Moonshae Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-08-2008 09:13 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS