Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Broken Leg House Amber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What's your efficiency Yoop?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

So I just picked up the ingredients and plan on brewing this tomorrow. The only change I made was the yeast. I'm using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. Ive never used it before and I like to experiment with new yeasts!

Here's my question... How quick can I expect to go grain to glass? I'm hoping to have this ready for a get together in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

So i just finished brewing this and put it into a primary. I ended up with a little shy of 6 gallons (including 1/4 gallon yeast starter) and a final gravity of 1.058. This is the first amber ale that I have brewed (about my 10th all grain batch in all) so I was wondering... what should the target OG for this beer be?

I had to make some small adjustments due to my misreading of the recipe... I didn't see the "4 ounce" part in the crystal 40L measurement of 1lb 4 oz so I was 4 oz short on my total grain bill. For this reason I ran off an extra 1/2 to 3/4 gallon or so of wort from my MLT and boiled it down to about 6.5 g before starting my 60 minute countdown/first hop addition. Hopefully this didn't throw off my gravity too much.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
So i just finished brewing this and put it into a primary. I ended up with a little shy of 6 gallons (including 1/4 gallon yeast starter) and a final gravity of 1.058. This is the first amber ale that I have brewed (about my 10th all grain batch in all) so I was wondering... what should the target OG for this beer be?

I had to make some small adjustments due to my misreading of the recipe... I didn't see the "4 ounce" part in the crystal 40L measurement of 1lb 4 oz so I was 4 oz short on my total grain bill. For this reason I ran off an extra 1/2 to 3/4 gallon or so of wort from my MLT and boiled it down to about 6.5 g before starting my 60 minute countdown/first hop addition. Hopefully this didn't throw off my gravity too much.
My OG was 1.050. You were slightly higher than I was!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

My OG was 1.050. You were slightly higher than I was!
Oh wow... Guess I overshot it a bit... Oops

How soon do you think I could be drinking this? I keg and am having people over in a few weeks for the first OU game (boomer sooner) and would LOVE to have this on the lineup!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #26
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

This is a shot of my first runnings during vorlauf... If this is any indication of what the final product looks like this beer is gonna be gorgeous

It's not quite as dark as it looks in the picture but it's pretty close

image-2072101485.jpg  

Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

My notes suggest that I was drinking this beer about three weeks after brewday, but it improved until 4 weeks after brewday.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #28
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

Quote:
My notes suggest that I was drinking this beer about three weeks after brewday, but it improved until 4 weeks after brewday.
Haha that's perfect... I have exactly 3 weeks and a day till the party

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

Quote:
Out of curiosity... What schedule did you use for your fermenters to get a 3 week turnaround?

I was thinking maybe 10 days in primary and 7 days in secondary with the last 3 days of the 7 in the secondary being a crash cool with gelatin? That would leave 3 to 4 days to carb?

This will be my first time kegging so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I brewed this tasty recipe last night as my first BIAB run on my new kettle. The wort color and hop aroma are both really enticing! I had a few minor issues due to the new equipment (overestimated boil-off, slightly undershot efficiency), so I'm expecting a moderately lighter bodied beer out of this. Still, I was close enough that I'm expecting good things in a few weeks.

The only real mistake I made was forgetting to tape my fermentation chamber's temp probe to the side of the bottle when I placed it in there. I set the thermostat for 63ºF, but since the probe was resting near the back of the chamber (where the cooling plate is), the beer spent it's first 10 hours or so of fermentation at 75º+. I've corrected this now and it is falling back down to 62º but extremely active fermentation is already well underway. I'm hoping the S-04 doesn't get too grumpy with me and produce to much estery off flavors.

Thanks for the great recipe, Yooper. I'm looking forward to this one.

Quick Reply