Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bottle Rocket American Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
kroach01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I brewed this not so long ago and am drinking a pint now. WOW this is good.
The caramel is quite prominent but balanced well with bittering hops. Definitely a great example of american red/amber. The hops give it a great dank taste/piney with a hint of citrus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
iammatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroach01 View Post
I brewed this not so long ago and am drinking a pint now. WOW this is good.
The caramel is quite prominent but balanced well with bittering hops. Definitely a great example of american red/amber. The hops give it a great dank taste/piney with a hint of citrus.
Exactly what I was shooting for with the beer. I love malt and I like hops, so just bring em both together in a reasonably sessionable brew. Glad you enjoy it.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Brewed this baby 2½ weeks ago and just just took a final gravity while racking it over to my brite tank for the dry hopping.... I was originally concerned that it may have been too malty (post#5). But after sampling the left over from the primary, I stand corrected..... This is nice and dry.... finished at 1.008. I can't wait to see what the dry hops impart into the profile...

IMHO I have to say it is closer to an American Brown than to an amber in color and taste... but the dry hops may swing the profile back to Amber.

I really like the flavor...great recipe.... will be experimenting with this over the next few months.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
hotpants
Recipes 

I made this but with basically a completely different hop schedule. I used galaxy to bitter and then some more galaxy in the last 5 minutes for some flavor and aroma, then I dry hopped it with a good dose of simcoe and zythos. This beer is reeally nice, the malts definitely bring some caramel but its just the right amount and its balanced with them hops. The best part though is the aroma. Im getting some piney and tropical notes, which in addition to the malts makes for a very interesting beer. I also fermented some with a belgian yeast, which is also very good, it brings that added bit of complexity. Very good but I think a clean american yeast suits this beer.

Cheers

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
iammatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBelli View Post
Brewed this baby 2½ weeks ago and just just took a final gravity while racking it over to my brite tank for the dry hopping.... I was originally concerned that it may have been too malty (post#5). But after sampling the left over from the primary, I stand corrected..... This is nice and dry.... finished at 1.008. I can't wait to see what the dry hops impart into the profile...

IMHO I have to say it is closer to an American Brown than to an amber in color and taste... but the dry hops may swing the profile back to Amber.

I really like the flavor...great recipe.... will be experimenting with this over the next few months.
I've made a few tweaks to the recipe over the last couple brew dates and it's now the best to date. I like to add an additional pound of Munich to the mash. Bumps the ABV up to 5.9% or so and adds a bit more flavor. I also like to do .5oz additions of Willamette at both 5 minutes left and Flame out. This adds a nice base to the big flavors of the Simcoe/Amarillo dry hop.

I'd update the Original Post, but I can't and don't know if that's an intended feature of a recipe post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants View Post
I made this but with basically a completely different hop schedule. I used galaxy to bitter and then some more galaxy in the last 5 minutes for some flavor and aroma, then I dry hopped it with a good dose of simcoe and zythos. This beer is reeally nice, the malts definitely bring some caramel but its just the right amount and its balanced with them hops. The best part though is the aroma. Im getting some piney and tropical notes, which in addition to the malts makes for a very interesting beer. I also fermented some with a belgian yeast, which is also very good, it brings that added bit of complexity. Very good but I think a clean american yeast suits this beer.

Cheers
I bet those Galaxy hops make it a fruity beast with the Amarillo. I have no experience brewing with Galaxy and have only had them in a few commercial beers, but I do recall massive amounts of fruit. What flavors came out with the Belgian batch vs. the Chico yeast?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
kroach01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to brew this one again!!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
Beeru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

started a batch of this today, and it looks great.

The hobby beer store I frequent didn't have the Carafa II, so I replaced it with the closest thing they had, which we thought would be a chocolate malt. Probably because of that it seems quite a bit darker. I guess this one is an American Brown. I also used Chinook hops in place of simcoe, which I can't seem to find. I also upped the Pale Malt by two pounds (for a 5.5 gallon batch). The OG is closer to 1.06. Smells great though, and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
Beeru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just cracked the first bottle of this one today, and it was great. I made quite a few adjustments, as I mentioned above, but since then I've found another HBS that carries the right hops, so I'll have to try it again soon and follow the recipe.

It's quite an interesting and delicious beer, with a great balance of caramel, citrus, and spice.
It's the kind of beer I could drink back a few liters of in a sitting.
Cheers!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #19
notixx
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

somehow only managed to hit 1.045 OG

i believe not as much water boiled off as i expected to, and since i do 1 gal batches, it makes a big difference. I'm sure the final product will still be good though!

UP Next: SN Celebration Clone
BetterBottle 1: Orange/Cascade Pale Ale
6.5 Gal Bucket: Mosaic SMaSH
Recent Bottled: Amarillo Blonde

Quick Reply