Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Bison Brewing Company Honey Basil Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
nate77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm new to homebrewing and am interested in doing this. I have a question on the basil addition.

Is the basil left in the primary during fermentation? Also, I'm thinking about adding some lemon zest in addition to the basil. Would I leave the zest in during primary fermentation as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Hovik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate77 View Post
I'm new to homebrewing and am interested in doing this. I have a question on the basil addition.

Is the basil left in the primary during fermentation? Also, I'm thinking about adding some lemon zest in addition to the basil. Would I leave the zest in during primary fermentation as well?

I don't think it matters but I pulled the basil at end of boil. The basil was just the right amount of presence in the finished beer, any more and it might have caused me to lose a few fans (not everyone likes to drink basily beverages), keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to leave it in primary. Anyway this beer was success, and the keg was empty after 2 gatherings. I think using pellet hops (at least to side-by-side the whole hops) is something I'd do in the future as the hop presence seemed muffled by the honey and basil. Anyway this beer will be brewed again soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Crock_it_out
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What was your fermentation schedule for this ale...I did an IPA and did 1wk in primary 2wks in carboy and another 2-3wks bottle conditioning to carb. I'm looking for a pretty quick turnover beer.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
Hovik
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock_it_out View Post
What was your fermentation schedule for this ale...I did an IPA and did 1wk in primary 2wks in carboy and another 2-3wks bottle conditioning to carb. I'm looking for a pretty quick turnover beer.
1week primary
1week secondary
kegged for 3 days
consumed in 2 days

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Crock_it_out
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovik

1week primary
1week secondary
kegged for 3 days
consumed in 2 days
Thanks Hovik another question…it says add basil during boil and then at knockout? Is knockout like flameout as in when the heat is turned off? Or did you add it to the carboy when you racked it after a week? Thanks

Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Hovik
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock_it_out View Post
Thanks Hovik another question…it says add basil during boil and then at knockout? Is knockout like flameout as in when the heat is turned off? Or did you add it to the carboy when you racked it after a week? Thanks
Honestly I assumed the same thing (knockout=flameout) so I added at the last second, killed the heat and left the basil in my mesh bag until my wort chiller was finished working it's magic, then I pulled.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
Brharo
Recipes 

I brewed this beer 7 days ago, tasted it today and it tastes great. i used wyeast 1272 and my og was 1.054 and i'm down to 1.005 after a week. i'm thinking of transferring to secondary now for 3 days, then cold conditioning for 3 days (to clear it up) then bottling. since fermentation is complete and there are no more additions, what is the purpose of the secondary? will i be sacrificing anything by only conditioning a few days in the secondary? thanks to the OP for the recipe!

PS i left the basil leaves in loose during primary and don't notice any ill effects. i plan to strain out before transfer to carboy.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Hovik
Recipes 

Brharo,
That sounds great. For me the secondary is just to end up with less trub to stir up at bottling time - I am usually not careful with my auto-siphon and stir stuff up. If you are cold conditioning you'll probably not need 3 days of secondary as most will drop out with the lower temps. I could be wrong.
Good luck. Hope yours lasts you longer than mine... (2 family gatherings back to back and it was gone).

Quick Reply