Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Bison Brewing Company Honey Basil Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
uniconfis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just brewed this AG recipe last night. I think I'm going to add lemon zest to the secondary too. Seems like it would be a great summer brew.

Kegged: Imperial Brown (Brewed by Surly through AHA rally)
Next: Hopslam clone (hopefully)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
uniconfis
Recipes 

I kegged this last night. I did add zest from two lemons in the secondary. This beer is awesome. Doesn't seem to need much for aging. I think it's ready to drink day one. I forced carbonated of course. Can't wait for a nice hot sunny day to enjoy this outside.

Kegged: Imperial Brown (Brewed by Surly through AHA rally)
Next: Hopslam clone (hopefully)

Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniconfis
I kegged this last night. I did add zest from two lemons in the secondary. This beer is awesome. Doesn't seem to need much for aging. I think it's ready to drink day one. I forced carbonated of course. Can't wait for a nice hot sunny day to enjoy this outside.
Today's not hot enough? Lol

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a hybrid between this recipe and a Widmer "Hef" clone yesterday.

7# 2-row
7# white wheat
1# Munich
0.3# Crys 30
2oz Hallertauer @ 45
1oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Willamette @ 10
1.5lb Honey @ 10

Wyeast 1010 American Hef

I think that the lemon aspects of the widmer wheat beer will go nicely with the honey basil.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I really like the sound of a honey basil hef but the hop schedule for endlesswinter's variation concerns me. It's much more hop forward than the amber recipie-- flavor and aroma hops compared to the lone bittering addition of the original. Have you brewed this version yet? Do the hops compete with the basil or is there a happy unison there?

These both look tasty. Can't wait to try them out.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #16
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst View Post
I really like the sound of a honey basil hef but the hop schedule for endlesswinter's variation concerns me. It's much more hop forward than the amber recipie-- flavor and aroma hops compared to the lone bittering addition of the original. Have you brewed this version yet? Do the hops compete with the basil or is there a happy unison there?

These both look tasty. Can't wait to try them out.
I just tapped this beer, never done it before. It is interesting. The citrus flavors and basil do play nicely together, blending into a nice sunshiny flavor. Definitely more hop forward on the flavor when compared with the bison honey basil, the hops do cover up a bit of the basil, yet the basil does come through. Basil on the aroma is still very present.

To me, the beer tastes a little watered down though, almost like its missing a some desired malty base. This could be partly due to the fact that I don't normally brew/drink beers this light and my palette is biased. In addition, I did not quite hit the desired OG due to poor mash efficiency. [given this] I think the honey to grain ratio might have also been a bit high, creating a dryer fermentation.

I think some revisions could make this beer a winner: better efficiency and/or more wheat&malt and maybe a little less honey (say 1 lb). The basil and hops additions seem good to me, but im not a tasting/brewing expert by any means.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to brew this soon. We tried this at a brewfest in Portland last summer and it was the beer that stood out the most as being both unique and great (although there were many that were one or the other). Bison's description says that they use Munich (although it's listed after the crystal so I doubt it's much) so I might swap out a 1/2 pound of 2-row for munich.

Member of the Milltown Mashers

Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
Abdul_Hassan
Recipes 

Is the batch fermenting with the Basil leaves in it? when do you remove the leaves?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #19
Hovik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Brewed a batch of this (AG) yesterday. Only thing I did different is used .75# of Crys 15L and .25# of Crys 40L (my LHBS didn't have 20L) and used whole leaf Cascades grown by my neighbor. The WLP001 called for is labeled "California Ale Yeast" instead of American Ale. Anyway I pulled the hops, and basil additions in their steeping bags from the kettle when I dropped in the wort chiller; hopefully that wasn't too soon. Was a little bit over on my starting O.G. but barely. Pitched yeast straight from vile, no starter as I did this a day earlier than planned. Ferm activity took about 18 hours to start which is much longer than normal but it'sslowly getting more active.

Planning to cristen my new kegging setup with this brew, will let y'all know how it goes...
H

Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #20
alund85
Recipes 

I think I'm going to brew this beer with the decreased amount of 2 row and the extra pound of munich malt added. I will be brewing it in hopes that it will get to be better weather here in Portland.

Quick Reply