Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #81
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robar
I followed the recipe even with the mashing 3.5gal, 5qt. 3.25gal Some of my volume loss comes from the hops in the bottom as I don't pour that in. The efficiency is what it is. I am not apposed to buying spring water but it seems like bumping the grain bill 5-10% is cheaper.
I strain mine, so I get all my beer. I work at getting 6.5 gallons of wort and boil it down to 5.5 gallons for my fermentor. That gives me enough for a couple of hydrometer jars and spillage.

I mentioned the water because of your high alkaline level. If your beer turns out good, then never mind. It's amazing how much difference the water can make though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #82
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Generally speaking I think my beer turns out pretty good. Using the product Five-Two brings the PH to 5.2 The first few brews I did turned out very bad as I didn't realize my PH was so far out of wack. My water tastes good and my garden grows well so I never gave a thought to the PH of my water. Well I learned about it the hard way as I dumped the first three batches I brewed.

I am thinking about running a side by side test though. One treated tap water and one spring water to see how different it tastes, just so I know. If it isn't very noticable then I'll continue to use my tap water. If it is different then I will have to seriously think about ponying up for the spring water when doing the lite ales. My stouts and ambers taste great I haven't turned out a decent APA or IPA to be able to tell. Though I have a couple fermenting now(Yours and a Stone IPA clone).

Ed you mention straining out the hops. What do you use to strain them out? I have a large funnel that has a fine screen insert, but it plugs up so fast it would take forever to strain the hops out of a gallon of slop.

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #83
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Ed you mention straining out the hops. What do you use to strain them out? I have a large funnel that has a fine screen insert, but it plugs up so fast it would take forever to strain the hops out of a gallon of slop.
This is what I use. Got it at Target. Stainless and it does a great job at aerating the wort when I pour through it.

If you ferment in Carboys, I would recommend using hop bags. I do now. They work great. They roll with the boil up and back down, and they keep 98% of the hops in them. I get great utilization with them too. No difference so far.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #84
Robar
Recipes 

Funny!!
I have a simular device and never thought to use it to strain the hops. Thats a sure sign of either; to many toys in the toybox or old age. I vote we go with he toybox theory.

I may also look into a hop bag. Do use one for dry hopping as well?

Thanks again for all the help and info.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #85
EdWort

Recipes 

I dry hop in the keg, so I use a Herb Ball like this.

Just sanitize it, put your hops in, drop it in the keg. It sinks right to the dip tube.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #86
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I dry hop in the keg, so I use a Herb Ball like this.

FYI...Found this for sale at a asian food store when I was looking for a large wok

strainer for WokFi!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Last edited by uuurang; 10-05-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #87
Robar
Recipes 

My wife is night manager at a large regional grocer/department store and I am having her look tonight. She says that she knows they sell tea balls that look simular. Maybe the SWMBO can hook me up.

The haus pale I made last night is going pretty slow. I cooled it to 79f then poored it into the bucket through my strainer funnel then pitched the yeast. I would guess the wort was 75-77f by then so tem can't be the problem. It was bubbling a little earlier today but not much tonight I have no kraeusen ring so it can't have been flash fermented. I give it some swirl and then it will bubble for a while then nothing. I shouldn't have to do that at all. The wort was aerated very well as it had close to 3" of foam on top when I pitched the yeast. Any ideas?

Last edited by Robar; 09-30-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #88
EdWort

Recipes 

RDWHAHB. Patience pays off with Homebrew.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 09-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #89
Robar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
RDWHAHB. Patience pays off with Homebrew.
What does RDWHAHB mean? Tried for a while to figure it out, but can't get this one.

After the big swirl I gave it it has been doing a little bit of activity so I am breathing easy again.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #90
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
What does RDWHAHB mean? Tried for a while to figure it out, but can't get this one.

After the big swirl I gave it it has been doing a little bit of activity so I am breathing easy again.
Relax...Don't Worry...Have a Home Brew...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply