Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #581
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
When you list 2 row, does it matter which 2 row grain I use?

I still get confused by all the grain choices.. Planning to brew on Saturday.
2 Row Pale is the one to get

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #582
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.. I feel kinda bad for not trying any other member recipes but it seems I can't go wrong with these. And, if it's not good, I can pretty much be sure it is my newbie mistakes..

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #583
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

brewing this one now, 30 minutes to go in the mash tun yet. Smells great, looking forward to the first pint. Thanks for sharing Edwort!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #584
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Got a stupid question, for the second batch of 3.5 gallons how long do you keep it in the mash tun? I only kept it in there for about 20 minutes and the gravity coming out of this was next to nothing. I ended up with a post boil OG of 1.040 so I think I should be ok, but just thinking about this for my second AG batch.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #585
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The second batch of sparge water I leave in for 5 to 10 minutes, but you have to stir to get the sugars back into solution.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #586
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I realize that there could be a number of reasons for this, however do you have any idea why my gravity could be a little low? I didn't miss the mash temps. Mashed at 152 F for 1 hour, and the end of that I lost 2 degrees in my coleman xtreme 70 qt with SS braid. I had a total of 6.5 gallons of pre boil wort, and after the boil I had 5 gallons. My second sparge gravity was practically 1.000 so Im thinking that may be my problem. This was my first AG and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. One otherthing is that I don't have a barely crusher, I bought the grains crushed 8 days before my brew day, I kept it in plastic bags in the fridge up untill brew day, could this effect effeciency?
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #587
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post
I realize that there could be a number of reasons for this, however do you have any idea why my gravity could be a little low? I didn't miss the mash temps. Mashed at 152 F for 1 hour, and the end of that I lost 2 degrees in my coleman xtreme 70 qt with SS braid. I had a total of 6.5 gallons of pre boil wort, and after the boil I had 5 gallons. My second sparge gravity was practically 1.000 so Im thinking that may be my problem. This was my first AG and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. One otherthing is that I don't have a barely crusher, I bought the grains crushed 8 days before my brew day, I kept it in plastic bags in the fridge up untill brew day, could this effect effeciency?
Thanks!
The crush does affect the efficiency. When you sparge are you stirring it and letting it sit for about 10 minutes to get the entire mess fluid again? I wasn't letting it sit for a few batches and my efficiency sucked bad. Well, it still does. But, it's gotten better.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #588
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeap I stirred it up nicely then let it sit for 20 minutes then recycled a few gallons and drained it out.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #589
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post
yeap I stirred it up nicely then let it sit for 20 minutes then recycled a few gallons and drained it out.
Maybe it is the crush then. What was your efficiency? I get mine crushed at the HBS and my efficiency isn't very good either.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #590
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I found it 1.040. If my calculations are right that's around 53% efficiency? That is pretty bad. I wouldn't worry about it much. First AG brew won't be perfect. and it sounds like you did everything else right. Look on the bright side. It will be more drinkable, hoppier, and you'll be able to drink more of them! However, you might want to invest in a BC. I probably will be taking the plunge soon too.

Quick Reply