Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #521
Flic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm placing an order with AHS as I am planing on this being my first AG brew. I'm a little confused on the base grain I need. Should I order the Brewers 2-row malt (Rahr) or the Pale Ale Malt?? Also, due to Nottingham's not being available, should I use S-04 or S-05 yeast?? Thanks for any help!! Looking forward to doing this one hopefully next weekend....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #522
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Rahr 2 row will be fine and Safale-05 will work great too.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #523
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ed,

I have to say you are have a real winner here. I brewed this on the 4th of July and I only have 7 bottles left. Everyone that tried it loved it. Thanks for a great recipe!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #524
Stinkonamonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Went to the LHBS today to get what I needed for this. They didn't have Cascade hops so I ended up with Mt. Hood hops. Hopefully it turns out Ok. I'll be doing the mini-mash.

Well, finally complete at 11:30 tonight. It was a long day. SG 1.060. Used the mini-mash recipe posted on the first page, except used Safeale S05 and Mt. Hood hops because the LHBS was out of both. I've got it in the fermentation chest set at 60-63 deg F. Pitched at ~72 or 73.

Last edited by Stinkonamonkey; 09-02-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #525
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Default Made this beer today.

I made this beer on crude homemade equipment today. It was a good day, and I can still smell the cascade hops. It is my first all grain. It was my first full boil in a keggle. I actually got the cooler to mash it at 152 only loosing 2 degrees. I screwed up the mash out and sparge volumes (reversed them). Had to do a small additional batch sparge to to get up to 6.5 gallons. All in all I got 76% efficiency from a coleman rectangle cooler, with a copper manifold with slits cut in it, and a sg of 1.052. It is a little warm here yeast pitched at 78. After 3 hours there is activity, from a single pack of safeale 04, and a very through wisking while racking to carboy for aeration.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #526
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm a new brewer and I plan to make this beer as my first real partial mash and could use a little help from you guys on some calculations if you don't mind...I've only done Mr Beer kits up to now.

I bought the ingredients yesterday for the PM version, substituting light LME (6.25 lbs) for the LDME, Crystal 20L for the 10L they didn't have and the Cascades they had were 6.0% (the original stated 6.6%). I won't be able to do quite a full boil so I'm a little worried about hop utilization, but I also think my homemade primary won't quite handle 5.5 gallons so I'm thinking I could scale it down to, say 4.5 gallons. I'd like to still use the full amount of grain (2.0 lbs vienna and .5 lbs Crystal 20L) but I'd like to know:

1) What should I adjust the LME down to if I shoot for 4.5 gallons and mash all the grains?

2) If I do downsize the recipe to 4.5g and use the full hop schedule with my 6.0% hops and a 3 gal or so boil, would I get close to the original IBUs and flavor?

3) Would I be better off to split the recipe and make two separate batches using a full boil? I think could easily put together a 2nd 3 gal primary...

Thanks for helping a noob brewer.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #527
jpgilman
Recipes 

Brewed my first batch of this recipe yesterday. Very straightforward. Everything went perfectly. Thanks Ed.

My only derivation was that my LHBS had neither Nottingham nor US-05 and I wasn't about to make a starter and pitch liquid as that seemed counter to the spirit of the endeavor. So I used 14g of Cooper's Ale Yeast. Most descriptions classify it as a fruity yeast, medium attenuation and medium flocculation, but there are some sites that claim it very neutral, high attenuation and high flocculation. I can't find anyone who actually speaks from experience nor can I find any info on the Cooper's web site. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. If anyone has actually used Cooper's and has an opinion please let me know.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #528
knownikko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to mention that I suspect this recipe is singlehandedly responsible for a shortage of nottingham yeast. None of the local or online brew stores seem to have any!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #529
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownikko View Post
Just wanted to mention that I suspect this recipe is singlehandedly responsible for a shortage of nottingham yeast. None of the local or online brew stores seem to have any!
That would be cool, but really it's because Danstar is in the middle of changing packagers because the one they were using up and folded on them with no notice. It takes a while to get the pipeline filled up again.

That's why it pays to always have a few packets of Nottingham on hand.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #530
knownikko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
That would be cool, but really it's because Danstar is in the middle of changing packagers because the one they were using up and folded on them with no notice. It takes a while to get the pipeline filled up again.

That's why it pays to always have a few packets of Nottingham on hand.
Well that's not nearly as good of a story.

Thanks for the info though. Hope to give this recipe a try the next time I make it to the LHBS for ingredients.

Quick Reply