Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #511
brewjunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My beer isn't quite as dark as the one shown from Ed but its a nice American pale ale.

One thing that I may change is the hops bitterness. I'm not a huge fan of really hoppy beers and this one is very citrus'y with the amount of Cascades in the recipe.

I'm not a BMC guy I do like some hop flavor but in a more balanced manner.

I will try cutting the hops in half for the next brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #512
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

HELP - is my beer ruined???

J/K

First, let me say that I'm a fan of this recipe. I've brewed it several times with great results and friends really like it.

I don't know what happened with this last batch, though. It turned out really sweet for some reason and there's absolutely zero head. Clearly it's not the recipe's fault. I used S-05 (nottingham not available) and kept it between at 67-68º for 3 weeks. It had an active, but slow and drawn-out fermentation. It finished at 1.013, a little higher than my previous attempts with nottingham, but not necessarily out of range. I skipped the secondary and went straight to the keg. The hops I used were plugs that had been in the freezer for a while, and they may have lost a little bitterness making it tilt toward the malty side of balanced.

Think I should rack this out of the keg and try to do a second fermentation to dry it out a little?

Anyway, I was really looking forward to another great batch of haus pale.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #513
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
Think I should rack this out of the keg and try to do a second fermentation to dry it out a little?
It's doubtful that it will ferment anymore, but additional conditioning might help. No need to remove it from the keg (unless you need the keg space.) Just take it out of refrigeration and let it set at room temperature for a few weeks. Bobby_M did a post about this a while back where he had good results.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #514
kice
Recipes 

It tastes great!!! I wasn't able to get it as clear as the photos but it's deff a great beer and I will be making this again once I get my new setup rolling. =)

Old 08-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #515
NikolausXX
Recipes 

I went and got all the ingredients today. Only thing is they were out of Noddy, so I got Safe ale 04. Hopefully it does the trick! It will be my first all grain also. My brewing partner has done 2 all grain porters on home made stuff. So far beer is coming out good. Man cost me 30 bucks. All I bought was what was on the recipe. That's still cheap as my buddies porters are running him almost 35-40. Looking foward to pale ale. Our first beer we ever made, Jan of this year, was a extract grain pale ale brewers best kit. We still have bottles ready to drink and they are good.

Basement Brewery

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #516
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX View Post
Man cost me 30 bucks.
Yeah, when you pay $5 an ounce for hops, it will jump up there.

Williams Brewing has Cascade for $4 for a 2 oz. bag. $2 and ounce compared to $5 an ounce...Hmmmm. I'd be buying hops from Williams Brewing.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #517
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Add me to the list of Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale brewers. I brewed up 5 gallons of this yesterday. It was my second AG batch. Everything went very well. I'm still trying to nail down my boil off so I had to top off a bit, but I hit the gravity dead on and had about 75% efficiency. This was also my first batch with my new immersion chiller. Holy cold break Batman! That was quite a sight to see.

Fermenting along nicely this morning. Now I just need to wait and get another batch going so I have a better pipeline. I think BM's OctoberFAST is up next.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #518
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to try this. This will most likely be my next batch. Is this a 10 gallon batch? If it is, can I simply cut in half and get away with it?

Old 08-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #519
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Every recipe in the database will state the batch size. This recipe is for 5.5 gallons as all of mine are to account for hydrometer readings, etc. so I finally end up with 5 gallons in the keg.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-31-2008, 03:01 AM   #520
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Every recipe in the database will state the batch size. This recipe is for 5.5 gallons as all of mine are to account for hydrometer readings, etc. so I finally end up with 5 gallons in the keg.

EdWort
Sorry about that, I read the specs in bold but just looked over it.

Quick Reply