Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #41
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK- the calculator is very cool... many thanks for the post...

nights are cooling down up her (in the low 60's) which means great fermenting ...

Full speed ahead to AHS to get those ingredients...

You will get a full report on this kinder and gentler recipe !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #42
swampdog
Recipes 

Default How Long to Age

Just kegged my first batch of Ed's Haus Ale. O.G. and F.G. were right on the mark. Eight days in the primary then straight to the keg. I "crash cooled" and force carbed it at 25 psi for three days. My question: WHEN CAN I DRINK IT?????? Its now been in the keg four days. Still seems a little green. I'm wondering how long you guys usually age it.

JG

Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #43
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog
Just kegged my first batch of Ed's Haus Ale. O.G. and F.G. were right on the mark. Eight days in the primary then straight to the keg. I "crash cooled" and force carbed it at 25 psi for three days. My question: WHEN CAN I DRINK IT?????? Its now been in the keg four days. Still seems a little green. I'm wondering how long you guys usually age it.JG
Vent the keg, then set the psi to 12 and wait another week. I know it's tough, but I don't touch a beer before 8 weeks myself. Try it after 3 weeks, then 4, then 5, etc. and note the changes and smoothness level. It gets better with age.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #44
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
...I know it's tough, but I don't touch a beer before 8 weeks myself. Try it after 3 weeks, then 4, then 5, etc. and note the changes and smoothness level. It gets better with age.
Ummmm.

Well...uh...

I brewed ten gallons on June 23rd, and it was gone on...August 5th.

Twas a big party hit and I plowed through it like soft butter. I guess I judge a beers age by what time it is.....

8 weeks you say????

Hmmmm.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #45
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Ummmm.

8 weeks you say????

Hmmmm.
Yeah, I have time.....

I'm putting a Haus from May 28th in the kegerator tonight along with a Hefe from June 9th.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #46
swampdog
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thanks Ed. I'm not sure I can do 8 weeks, but I will vent it, reset to 12 psi and give it seven more days before I "test" it again, as you suggest.

John

Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #47
britishbloke
Recipes 

Default Ed... I think I screwed up the recipe

My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and veinna.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?

Primary: Welches Grape Juice
Secondary: Pail Ale (American)
Secondary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Ghetto Cider (Roundys)

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #48
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbloke
My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and veinna.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?
10 days plus 3 weeks...I think you're fermented out. My version was a total of 10 days before being kegged.

Did you chill hte secondary? That is what helps the clearing.

Don't mess around with it. Give it time. Rmember, only 9 days in and your yeast in the bottles is still actively carbing the beer. That will settle once the priming sugar has been digested.

Relax.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #49
bigben
Recipes 

Default Brewing PM Version this weekend...need help.

I will be brewing a PM version of this recipe this weekend, finally! But I need some help. I'm on my mac right now and I can't get to my beer apps....and the online ones are giving me funky results. Can someone put these numbers in beersmith or something and tell me the results?

Grain/Extract
4 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
4 lbs Alexanders Pale LME

Hops
1 oz Cascade 6.9% 60 Min
.5 oz Amarillo 8.9% 30 Min
.25 oz Amarillo 8.9% 15 Min
.25 oz Amarillo 8.9% 5 Min

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast

Notes: I can't remember if I had calculated this for 3 lbs of LME or 4, but I have a 4 lb can. Also, I plan on having about 3.25 gallons of wort after batch sparging.

One more request, can someone tell me how much different it will be if I use the Amarillo as the bittering hop at 60 Mins and use the Cascade for the rest of the schedule?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #50
EdWort

Recipes 

I don't know about the PM stuff off hand, but the Amarillo will increase the hoppiness and create a different beer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply