Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #411
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think your ferment temp is too high and should be about 10 degrees cooler at least. Higher temps lead to more fruity flavors. One way to lower the ferment temps is to freeze a few water bottles (the 16 or 20 oz ones are fine) and add them to your water bath. This should lower the temp. Freeze enough that you can change them out often, rotating from water bath to freezer and back.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #412
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

High Temps and Muntons are the major contributor for your off flavor. Nottingham is a very clean yeast. Works like a champ. If you cannot find it, you can substitute Safale -05, but an English Beer yeast will make a completely different beer.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #413
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
My LHBS was out of the Nottinghams yeast. So, I used Muntons instead. Could that be it? Also, it has been very hot here lately. Temps in the basement have been upper 70s and low 80s. I kept the fermenter in an Ice water bath but the stick on thermometer always read in the upper 70s. I've been told that high temps during primary fermentation can cause off flavors. Is cinnamon one of the off flavors?
Yeah, sounds like Muntons + high temps could be your issue. My first beer used Muntons yeast. It fermented way too high (in the upper 70s), and when it was done it reeked of bananas. It was drinkable, but it would have been a better beer without the fruit from the yeast. In that sense it was kind of disappointing, although on the upside I did learn more from that batch than any other batch I've made. So whilst that beer wasn't great, every beer I've made since has been better as a result.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #414
mrkeeg
Recipes 

Default haus ale with goldings hops

Hi all, not sure if this post is better off here in the recipes section, or elsewhere.

I'd like to do this recepie as my first all -grain in the next day or two. My "local" HBS (3 hours away) didn't have cascade hops, so I randomly selected goldings.

I know of course that there will be a difference ... and as my first all grain this will be mostly about getting a feel for the technique.... but just the same, I want to make a good beer. Anyone care to speculate how it may be? Anyone think it would be bad enough that I should wait until I can get different hops?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #415
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeg View Post
Hi all, not sure if this post is better off here in the recipes section, or elsewhere.

I'd like to do this recepie as my first all -grain in the next day or two. My "local" HBS (3 hours away) didn't have cascade hops, so I randomly selected goldings.

I know of course that there will be a difference ... and as my first all grain this will be mostly about getting a feel for the technique.... but just the same, I want to make a good beer. Anyone care to speculate how it may be? Anyone think it would be bad enough that I should wait until I can get different hops?

Thanks!
It will have a different character as you are using English hops, but I imagine it will be a tasty beer just, more of an English Pale.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #416
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Brewing this tomorrow. Substituting .75 oz of Chinook FWH for bittering instead of the Cascades and WLP001 instead of the Nottingham. IBU's on Beersmith come out to 40. LHBS said it was no big deal and I can use the other .25 oz to bitter my honey wheat.

Will advise!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #417
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default ?

I brewed this a week ago using WLP001. Since I couldn't find any Nottingham. I also put the remaining .5 cascade and the .5 centennial right into primary. Is this going to be anywhere close to the same beer? If not, what would be a good substitute for the Nottingham?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #418
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
I brewed this a week ago using WLP001. Since I couldn't find any Nottingham. I also put the remaining .5 cascade and the .5 centennial right into primary. Is this going to be anywhere close to the same beer? If not, what would be a good substitute for the Nottingham?
Safale -05 would have been a good and cheap alternative. Again, the main purpose behind the recipe was good, cheap, and easy.

The extra hops and liquid yeast knock off the cheap part and some of the easy part, but you still will have a good beer. A bit more hoppy especially in the nose, but overall a tasty beer. Enjoy!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #419
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Ed,

I have an extra ounce of Cascades sitting around from another brew. Have you dry hopped this beer yet?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #420
EdWort

Recipes 

Nope. I only dry hop my IPAs. Go ahead if you want to, or save the ounce for the next batch.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply