Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #401
ndhowlett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quite possibly one of the best light beers I've ever had. Amazing how simple it was to make.

God it felt good to have a good beer made after two very disappointing beers. Didn't know something so simple could end up so good.

Congrats

Primary: All Chinook IPA
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Bone dry
Keg 2: Begging for beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #402
Hikeon3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just brewed a mini-mash version. Gravity came out way too low. 1.042. Should've used more extract maybe.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #403
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This time around I used London Ale Yeast (I re-pitched onto an existing cake from a Brown Ale) .. came out well..

Has anyone tried London Ale yeast w/Haus ale ?

At the risk of sounding like a yeast idiot, I notice a bit more sweetness then earlier .. is this the different yeast talking ?

I cld drink this all night (and maybe I will!)

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #404
ftlstrings
Recipes 

What do you think about the addition of kent golding or nothern brewer hops as a dry-hop addition to this brew? I am thinking of on ounce added to the primary late or to the secondary if you choose to do that.

~M~

Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #405
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I finally have this one in the bottle. 11 days in the primary, 14 days in the 2ndary.

I also dry hopped it w/ 2 oz of Homegrown Cascade. WOW - Its good and hoppy tasting. Its nicely balanced (not too bitter) but w/ lots of hop flavor.

Now I have to wait for carbonation.....

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #406
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've got to work on my efficiency before the next brew. It was my first all grain and I thought I did everything right but my numbers are off. My OG: 1.048 My FG: 1.013

I'm pretty sure It's done fermenting. I checked it three nights in a row and it's been right around 1.013. It taste pretty good but it's a little lighter than I expected.

I'm going on Vacation day after tomorrow. I don't think I'll have time to bottle tomorrow night. So, I'm planning on racking it to a glass carboy until I get back in a week. Maybe I'll squeeze out another point before I get back....

Old 06-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #407
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Haus Ale is FAMOUS in Brattleboro, VT --- brought a 12 pak to a small going-away party for a teacher, and, as always, it was received with HUGE praise ... in fact, the folks who enjoyed it the most were not regular beer drinkers...

The Sam Adams folks brought didn't stand a chance !

I think we got a former home brewer from Marlboro re-energized to start brewing again !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #408
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I just did a version of this followed the grain bill completley
but used:
columbus as bittering about .5 ounce
then .5 cascade at 30
.5 cascade at 15 and 5
then I am dry hopping with an ounce of amarillo which is where it is at right now. I also used wyeast 1056. When I racked to dry hop it tasted pretty good already. Now to wait for another 2 weeks before I bottle
well I bottled this tonight, I dry hopped it with an ounce of armarillo. Was going to do that for 2 weeks, but got really busy and they were in there for almost 4 weeks. I thought I was going to have to much of a grassy flavor but it tasted great so far.

Mine finished really low to 1.008 has a nice crisp dry finish. I had to use the coopers car tabs which I really dont like but I forgot to buy a few ounzes of sugar. Will update this after if carbs up and ages a little

Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #409
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Oh yeah forgot to mention that i used Wyeast 1056, grain bills was the same and hoping was failry similar plus the dry hoping. I didnt think I was going to get that low

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #410
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default weird flavor???

Hi guys,

I bottled my bee cave haus ale today. I tasted it and it taste weird. It taste almost like cinnamon or some type of spice. I'm not sure if that's from the hops or some error in my process. It tasted pretty good the day I brewed it but each time I've tasted it since the "spice" flavor is more pronounced.

I followed the recipe very closely. My efficiency was off. I only hit 1.048 O.G. instead of 1.051. I'm wondering if I didn't get enough "sweet" out of the malt to counteract the hops. Do Cascade hops have a cinnamon flavor?

My LHBS was out of the Nottinghams yeast. So, I used Muntons instead. Could that be it? Also, it has been very hot here lately. Temps in the basement have been upper 70s and low 80s. I kept the fermenter in an Ice water bath but the stick on thermometer always read in the upper 70s. I've been told that high temps during primary fermentation can cause off flavors. Is cinnamon one of the off flavors?

Sorry for the long post, But, I'm kind of worried that the beer is gonna suck.

Thanks in advance,

Kornbread

Quick Reply