Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #391
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good question. You must be one Fart Smeller, I mean Smart Feller.

I have no idea, as my fermenters are in a freezer in the garage.

One man's farts are another man's ambrosia though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #392
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
my name is brian and i'm an airlock sniffing addict. ....... The fart smell has persisted throughout today and a few minutes ago, when I took another whiff tonight, the fart smell had overcome the yeasty smell to become the dominant aroma. Is my brew contaminated or is the fart a common scent for this brew? While I'm usually pretty good about drinking/eating anything, a beer that smells of old stale farts probably won't make it to my mouth. Please tell me this is a common occurence during the fermentation of this brew and that it will give way to beautiful malty aromas. Thanks!
Yes - They smell. As the yeast make beer they fart too ya know.

It/They will also taste like farts (I think, never tasted one or want too) if you try to drink them too soon. Like right now.

Wait until it done, rack to the 2ndary or bottle and wait about 3 weeks and you have some tasty beer to drink. - No Farts Honestly!

You ought to call this one Fartopia Pale Ale!!!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #393
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

haha, thanks for the resassurances guys. i've decided to give the yeast some privacy while it takes care of business.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #394
ZacMac
Recipes 

Ed, I noticed that you call for no hydration or yeast starter with the Nottingham. I am assuming that you have had luck with this, but I have to be honest that I have never heard of this before. I thought that you always had to make a starter with dry yeast. I am still somewhat of a noobie, but it just seemed odd. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend, thanks for the economically friendly beer.

On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #395
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac View Post
Ed, I noticed that you call for no hydration or yeast starter with the Nottingham. I am assuming that you have had luck with this, but I have to be honest that I have never heard of this before. I thought that you always had to make a starter with dry yeast. I am still somewhat of a noobie, but it just seemed odd. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend, thanks for the economically friendly beer.
Having a starter always helps, but you can either dry pitch, or rehydrate as noted on the package or have two on hand all of the time. That way if you have a dead one you're OK. You just add another pack. This is my back up yeast. Its a good neutral yeast to have at the ready.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #396
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac View Post
You don't need a starter for Nottingham or Safale-05. Nottingham recommends you rehydrate, but Safale does not. I've done it both and it does not matter either way IMHO.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 06-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #397
ZacMac
Recipes 

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your feedback. I trying the Haus Pale Ale this weekend and with some luck will have it ready to drink for my son's 1st Birthday party in July. Of course for the mature attendees only, birthday cake for all others.Take care.

On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #398
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default I think I need a bigger pot...

I decided to give "all grain" a try. After all the posts about Ed's "Haus" Ale I figured that would "bee" a good one to start out with. I knew I would need to split the boil into two pots. I didn't think I would need three.

I suppose the three pots have quite a bit more surface area than one large pot. I'm thinking that's why after "boil off" I only ended up with about 3 1/2 Gallons. So, after I cooled the wort, I added enough tap water to the fermenter to bring it up to 5 1/2 gallons. Was that OK???

I don't know how to figure out my "efficiency" yet. But, after I put my sample into the freezer to cool it to about 60 deg, my hydrometer reading was 1.048. A little short I think. I'm not sure what I did wrong there. It could be I added too much water.

Also, my LHBS was sold out of the Nottingham yeast. I used Muntons. Do you think that will make much difference?

For my first try at all grain brewing everything seemed to go pretty well.

(Except for the flood and the mild heat stroke...)

But, I came out looking (and tasting ) pretty good. It does seem a little "lighter" than yours. I'm not sure why.

I can't wait til it's done.

Thanks for sharing the recipe Ed.

Kornbread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #399
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you brew at someone elses house and then get it to your own house without ruining it?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #400
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
How do you brew at someone elses house and then get it to your own house without ruining it?
Put your bucket or carboy fermenter in the back of your car and take it home. Add the yeast when you get home. The jostling will help aerate it.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply