Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #381
McSwiggin'
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ed,

Forgive me if you have already answered this in the last 38 pages, any idea what your strike water temp usually is on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #382
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwiggin' View Post
Ed,

Forgive me if you have already answered this in the last 38 pages, any idea what your strike water temp usually is on this?
That depends on the temperature of your grain. Check out the strike temp calculator here.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #383
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Thanks Ed, that is actually the calculator I have been using. Lately I have been missing my mash temps by a couple degrees.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #384
EdWort

Recipes 

Make sure you preheat your MLT with a couple gallons of hot tap water for about 15 minutes.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #385
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

My problem has actually been in the other direction. Since I started using that calculator, I end up a couple degrees high. My MLT retains heat so well that it takes a while to get it down a couple degrees. Probably not a big deal. Just curious.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #386
EdWort

Recipes 

If you over shoot the temp, just start dropping ice cubes in it and stir. Keep checking temp every 30 seconds as the ice melt and you will bring the temp down.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #387
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Thats a good tip. Thanks Ed!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #388
lemmy
Recipes 

well, i finally jumped on the bandwagon. my swmbo went to the lhbs and got everything for the pm version. kinda. the right yeast,TEN OUNCES OF CASCADES!!! sorry,. the only problem is she got screwed up with the grains. two pounds veinna, and one pound of crystal 40, all mixed together. i'm sure it will be good but i wanted this to be perfect. on the plus side i will still have 5 gallons of tasty beer.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #389
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just did a version of this followed the grain bill completley
but used:
columbus as bittering about .5 ounce
then .5 cascade at 30
.5 cascade at 15 and 5
then I am dry hopping with an ounce of amarillo which is where it is at right now. I also used wyeast 1056. When I racked to dry hop it tasted pretty good already. Now to wait for another 2 weeks before I bottle

Old 05-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #390
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

my name is brian and i'm an airlock sniffing addict. ok, now that that's out of the way, let me relate my experience with this brew so far. I brewed it and pitched the yeast this past sunday. By Monday afternoon I had a steady stream of bubbles coming from the airlock and smelling of sharp fresh hops. As the fermentation intensified monday night and through tuesday the hop smell persisted, but was joined by the subtle smell of yeast/bread. So far so good, right? Well yesterday (Wednesday) the hop smell gave way to the yeasty/bready smell which intensified throughout the day until it peaked last night. The overwhelming smell of yeast was joined by the somewhat disturbing smell of fart. The fart smell has persisted throughout today and a few minutes ago, when I took another whiff tonight, the fart smell had overcome the yeasty smell to become the dominant aroma. Is my brew contaminated or is the fart a common scent for this brew? While I'm usually pretty good about drinking/eating anything, a beer that smells of old stale farts probably won't make it to my mouth. Please tell me this is a common occurence during the fermentation of this brew and that it will give way to beautiful malty aromas. Thanks!

Quick Reply